Important Information for Graduate Students

 This information has been updated August 31, 2018.

Once you have registered for classes, you are eligible to obtain a WSU ID Card. WSU ID cards are available from the Winona Campus Card Office, Maxwell 227. View their website at UCR ID cards for WSU-Rochester students are available from the Information Technology Support Center in Rochester, GL 121. Please contact Matt Brown for information.
Course listings and instructions for registering are available online through the student e-services site. There is no hard copy of the class schedule, so please check the website for class schedules. Course descriptions and associated prerequisites can be viewed in the course catalog. You can find a listing of academic departments and phone numbers by searching the WSU directory.

 More information about WSU technology resources available to graduate students can be found in this Graduate Student Technology Survival Guide.

Additional helpful IT links:

Once admitted, both Winona and Rochester students can obtain and activate their network StarID username and password. You will need your tech/warrior ID.

If you are already registered, you used your StarID and password to register and do not need to activate or change the password again.

Your Minnesota State StarID is a unique username and password that you use to login to certain Minnesota State network resources and all current WSU services such as your WSU e-mail, D2L Brightspace, OnTheHub, E-services, Web Printing, campus wireless network, etc. Once you activate your StarID, you will use the StarID and password to access all online resources.

Winona State email is provided via Microsoft Office 365. In order to log in you will need to enter your and your StarID password. If you can't login, try to reset your StarID password. If you are still unable to log in please contact Tech Support.

If you need assistance, call Tech Support at 507 457-5240 or stop by Tech Support. Tech Support is located Somsen Hall Room 207 on the Winona Campus and Goddard Library 118. You may also email Tech Support at or

For WSU-R students to access Goddard Library in Rochester, you will use the UCR ID card barcode and password for remote access to Goddard Library databases and materials.
You may enroll in the Digital Life and Learning Program and are eligible to lease a laptop computer.
After registering for your courses, please check your account/billing information online. You will need your STAR ID# and password. Charges will be posted beginning August 1 for Fall registrations and December 1 for Spring registrations. Final bills will not be mailed to students. You may pay using your credit or debit card or by e-check and payment instructions are available online. When paying using e-check, you will need the bank routing and account number from your checkbook to complete the transaction. Late fees will apply for late payments.
You must be admitted to a degree or certificate/licensure program in order to be eligible for financial aid. Only unsubsidized loans are available to graduate students. Please review the Financial Aid website for general and contact information.

A commons/study area for Graduate Student use is located in Gildemeister 134 in Winona and in East Hall (EA) 235 in Rochester. Winona students will use their ID cards to access the building evenings and weekends, but must notify the Office of School of Graduate Studies that they wish to have this access. The Common’s room will be locked. Contact the Office of School of Graduate Studies to obtain the code to enter the room. Rochester students must pick up an entry card from their department main office to access their Common’s room. They are able to use the area when the campus is open and the building is unlocked.

Students are also required to submit an Immunization Form (PDF) to Health Services if they do not currently have one on file.
The Integrated Wellness Complex is a unique facility, unlike any other in the country. It aligns counseling & wellness services, health & wellness services, academics, intramural sports & recreation, fitness and athletics into a single state-of-the-art facility, providing new opportunities for learning, research, hands-on experiences, activity and outreach.
Parking permits for the Winona campus are available for purchase. Please visit the Parking Services website for further information. Rochester students do not need to purchase a parking permit for their lots. 
Wisconsin residents may apply for reciprocity online.
You can now take advantage of using your WSU Warrior ID like an internal campus debit card. The service is called Purple Pass. Just deposit money on your card to start using it to purchase internal products and services throughout our WSU Campus Community. You can eat, snack, drink, make copies, do laundry, purchase merchandise and request Library Services with one card. It’s Purple Pass, simple and easy to use, with the convenience of not having to carry cash with you.

The Kafe Kryzsko, located in the lower level of Kryzsko Commons, is open Monday – Friday from 7am – 11pm, Saturdays from 12 - 11pm and Sundays from 5 -11pm. You may also dine in the Jack Kane Dining Center from 7am until 6:30pm. Please check posted times for specific meal times.

Driving directions to both WSU campuses are available online.

WSU does not offer housing accommodations for couples. Graduate students are encouraged to seek off-campus housing, but are welcome to live on campus, per availability. The Housing Office will make every effort to place graduate students with upper-level undergraduate students or other graduate students, where possible. Housing assignments are issued by the date the Application for Housing is received.

You must work with International Student & Scholar Services for additional processing. Please email Kemale Pinar at