WSU's Sustainable Students
WSU students are awesome. They are interested in being part of a green university and they are empowered to make a difference!
- Students passed a Green Fee starting in Fall 2016 to support projects and resources around sustainability.
- Students and all members of the campus community can list items (futons, mini-fridges, books, bikes) on Wazoo's List, a Craigslist-style Facebook group designed to serve as a resource to support sustainability efforts and student needs.
- Students proposed setting all residence hall thermostats 1 degree higher in the summer and 1 degree lower in the winter. That simple thermostat change saved WSU $60,000 in heating costs the first winter (2010-11).
- Post your trip or see where others are going with the WSU Rideboard on Facebook.
- WSU has a great Sustainability Minor, available to all students. The minor arms future gradates with the knowledge and skills to be sustainable and use sustainable ideas and technology.
- Since 2009, WSU students have participated in the national RecycleMania competition each spring.
- The Sustainability Website was designed by students in the CS 344 Web Programming class in Fall 2011.
Student Team: Nathan Guggenberger, Mark Krueger and Vaness Storm.
The WSU Purple Bike Rental Program has over 30 bikes available at no cost to current students and employees on the Winona campus. A rental includes the following equipment: bike, helmet and cable lock with key. Bikes are located outside Kryzsko Commons near the rear entrance to the Student Resource Center. For more information, call Paul Stern at 507.457.5613 or e-mail: PStern@winona.edu.
pumping up bike tire
Each spring, students on the Winona campus put on and staff WSU Bike Week. With support from local businesses and campus organizations, students provide programming and free bike-maintenance to help promote a bicycle friendly community. Last year, two bikes were given away as prizes and over 150 bikes were "tuned up" during the week.
If your bike needs some TLC, head over to the WSU Bike Station in the basement of Prentiss-Lucas Hall for some expert service. They are open during the summer and while the weather is still "bikable" during the fall and spring semesters.
The student Environmental Club host several events over the year for club members and the Winona community. They work to inform the University community of environmentally related events and opportunities, and to have fun doing it!
The WSU Cycling Club offers several groups rides a week. As a student club, we don't require racing, but we are a great place to start or continue training. We meet in front of the WSU library and decide on what route to do then depending on what people are feeling. Once a week we also ride a time trail on one of two courses: out on Prairie Island and a hill TT up Pleasant Valley Road. Brone's Bike Shop is the WSU Cycling Club's supporting shop. Brone's is dedicated to quality bicycles and professional service located down the road from WSU in Fountain City, WI. For more info, contact the club advisor, Mark Engen.