Combine your passions for data science and health, exercise, and rehabilitative sciences by enrolling in WSU’s online Master of Science in Performance Analytics, coming Fall 2022.
Performance analytics is becoming a vital component of the sports and fitness industries.
As a performance analyst, you'll work with athletes, coaches, and wellness clients to:
- identify physical areas for improvement to help clients gain a competitive edge against opponents
- maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses
- visualize trends in training and performance
- predict and prevent sports injuries
With our master’s degree in Performance Analytics, you’ll use your expertise to work behind the scenes to gather, interpret, and translate sports and exercise data using high-tech applications.
Understanding these large and complex human performance datasets will give you the ability to improve the athletic performance of individuals and entire teams.
The best part: our unique degree is one of the only in the region that offers an intersection between exercise physiology, biomechanics, data science, behavior change, and research.
Program at a Glance
The Performance Analytics master’s degree comprises 34 credits and can be completed in as little as two years.
Coursework will be delivered primarily online.
Some courses in this program will be delivered asynchronously, meaning you can complete coursework when you want to.
Some courses may be synchronous, meaning class is taught at a specified day and time each week.
There will also be up to three in-person immersion experiences with collegiate athletic teams at the Winona campus held on weekends per semester.
This degree is available as both a standalone program and a combined 3+2 option.
The 3+2 program is perfect for students already pursuing an Exercise Science bachelor’s degree at WSU and want to earn this graduate degree in five years.
Learn more about the required courses for this program.
What You'll Learn
This program emphasizes the importance of optimizing human performance using high-tech data.
You’ll also learn how to:
- forecast acute and critical sports injuries
- design and implement effective customized training programs for individuals and entire sports teams alike
- promote mental health wellness and overall athlete health and safety standard practices
Who Should Enroll
This program is ideal for undergraduate students who earned or are currently completing their bachelor’s degree in:
- Exercise Science
- Human Performance
- Sport and Exercise
- Other related fields
Careers in the Field
With this graduate degree, you could pursue a variety of careers in professional sports, college athletics, private performance training centers, and even research.
You could find yourself becoming a:
- Analytics Director
- Exercise Scientist
- Personal Trainer
- Sports Injury Forecaster
- Sports Performance Specialist
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
Ready to Apply?
Learn about the admissions process to ensure you complete your application correctly.
Applications for the Fall 2022 term are being accepted on a rolling admission basis until the cohort is filled.
We highly recommend you submit your application as early as possible.
Program Admission Requirements
Before applying for the Performance Analytics master’s degree, you must meet the following requirements:
- A completed undergraduate degree, from an accredited institution, in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or a similar area of study.
- Note: Students with degrees in other fields can apply to this program, but they may need to complete additional prerequisite work.
- Completed a minimum of one semester of each of the following undergraduate classes:
- Anatomy and Physiology, with lab
- Biomechanics, with lab
- Exercise Physiology, with lab
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Current CPR/AED Certification
To apply for enrollment in the Performance Analytics master’s degree, you must submit two applications.
Apply to WSU’s School of Graduate Studies
The first thing you need to do is apply to the School of Graduate Studies at WSU.
Complete an online application, pay the application fee, and submit your official transcripts to be considered.
If you’ve been admitted to WSU’s School of Graduate Studies, then you’re ready to move on to the final step.
Apply to the Performance Analytics Graduate Program
The final thing to do is apply to the Performance Analytics graduate program.
Send an email to Program Director Dr. Justin Geijer at email@example.com. Within your email, please attach the following items as PDF files:
- Current resumé
- Transcript(s) from all colleges and universities attended
- Two letters of reference/recommendation from a current or former employer or professor
- A written personal statement, no more than three pages in length, that:
- introduces you to the selection committee
- explains why you wish to seek an advanced degree in Performance Analytics at Winona State University and why you believe you’d be a successful applicant
- describes your post-graduation career goals and/or plans