Amenities Included in All Halls
All halls include basic amenities to like a mail service and lofted beds. However, the halls on campus are all different and offer different amenities. The Amenities Comparison Chart (PDF) can help you compare and contrast halls and help you select the hall that is best for you.
Each residence hall has a front desk that serves as the “hub” of the hall. The desk is staffed by student workers who live in the hall and is open most of the day, with limited hours on weekends and breaks.
The front desk staff of your building can help you with a variety of services, like network printing, package pick-up and equipment rental (including kitchen supplies, games, snow shovels, etc). A Warrior ID must be provided for the checked out item(s). Damaged or un-returned equipment will be charged to the student who provided his/her Warrior ID.
Common areas (hallways, recreation rooms, lounges, restrooms, and kitchens) are an integral part of community life. Students should help in keeping these areas clean and in good repair. No one is allowed to sleep in or dominate these areas as they are for the the whole community.
Disrespectful use of common areas may result in the loss of privilege to use the space. Lounge and common area furnishings may not be removed from its location. Any item(s) left in a common area will be disposed of within 24 hours.
For the safety of all students, residence hall kitchen facilities should be used when preparing food. Appliances with exposed heating elements (toasters, hot plates, toaster ovens, etc.), air conditioners, candle warmers, and halogen lamps are not allowed in residence hall rooms.
The following are allowed in residence hall rooms:
- Refrigerators (up to 4.5 cubic feet)
- Microwaves (700 watts or less)
- Single Serve Coffee Maker (no heating elements)
Any additional kitchen appliances may be used in the common kitchens facilities only.
East Lake students are allowed to use appliances, but only in the kitchen.
Each room has an assigned mailbox located in the residence hall front lobby. To mail something to your student, please use the following format:
Residence Hall & Room #
Residence Hall Street Address
Winona, MN 55987
Students are encouraged to check their campus mailbox often as this is one way the University is able to relay important information.
Each hall has laundry facilities for student use (including the East Lake apartments and the Theme House). Currently there is no charge for laundry. Please notify the hall front desk of any mechanical failure involving the laundry machines.
All laundry facilities are equipped with LaundryView. LaundryView is an Internet app that allows students to monitor the status of washers and dryers in a Web browser.
For safety and liability reasons, all lofts must be rented through Winona State University. All rooms are furnished with beds that can be adjusted to a height of three feet without a loft extension kit. Loft charges will be applied to your student account within the first two weeks of the semester.
Requesting a Loft
Fall 2017: If you requested a loft online prior to Aug. 1, your loft extension kit will be placed in your room, unassembled, for move-in day on Aug. 15, 2017. If you want a loft and did not request one in advance, simply notify our staff when you check into your room and they will assist you. If you decide to cancel your request or return it after you move in, see below on the process and any possible charges.
Spring 2018: Students can request a loft extension kit through their RA when they check into the residence halls. If you decide to cancel your request or return it after you move in, see below on the process and any possible charges.
It is recommended that you discuss your want/need for a loft with your roommate prior to requesting/renting one. We have plenty of loft kits available, so if you are unsure if you want a loft before moving into your room, we encourage you to wait and decide once moved in.
Loft rental fees are $100 for the academic year. All loft charges will be applied to your student account.
Note: These bed dimensions will help you when purchasing a futon or couch for under a loft.
(no loft extension)
(with loft extension)
|Length outside frame
||Length inside frame
|East Lake, Kirkland-Haake,
Lourdes, Maria, Morey-Shepard
Richards and Sheehan
|Conway & Prentiss-Lucas
Proper Use of Lofts
In your housing agreement, you agreed to the following "proper use" regulations when renting a loft:
- Safety bar use is required for all lofts/bunk beds.
- All rented items will be assembled in accordance with the Bed Lofting Instructions (PDF) provided.
- Do not attempt to assemble or dissemble your loft alone. This will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury or damage to the loft/bed.
- Students will make no alterations or additions to bunk bed/loft and all extra parts must be stored in the student's room. (All university furniture must stay in their specific hall room.)
- The student is responsible for disassembling and returning the loft before checking out of their room. Charges will be issued to your student account if not returned.
- If the loft is damaged beyond ordinary wear and tear due to student's own negligence, misuse or for any other reason, student will pay to repair such damage.
- The use of the loft/bunk bed will be at the sole risk of the student. The student hereby releases Winona State University from all liability resulting from any use of the loft/bunk bed.
- Loft charges will be billed to the student's account by the 10th class day. If the student wishes to return their loft with a partial refund, the return must take place within the first 10 days of the semester.
Cancelling Your Loft Request/Returning Your Loft
If you decide you no longer want a loft prior to moving into your room, please email our office at email@example.com with your name and Warrior ID. If you choose to return your loft after you've moved into your room, please contact your RA.
Loft cancellations for fall semester made between Aug. 1, 2017 and Sept. 5, 2017 will be charged a $10 restocking fee. If you decide to return your loft after Sept. 5, 2017 you will be charged the $50 semester rental fee.
Loft cancellations or returns for spring semester made through Monday, Jan. 22, 2018 will result in a $10 restocking fee. If you decide to return your loft after Jan. 22, 2018, you will be charged the $50 semester rental fee.