Hiring through the Search Process
Searches are initiated with the Human Resources Office to review classification, position descriptions, organizational structure and contractual obligations. Once those items have been assessed the Affirmative Action Office will post the open position and begin the search process.
All of the documents required for a Search are available in the Search Toolkit.
Affirmative Action will provide Human Resources with approved candidate materials so that Human Resources can work with the supervisor on the offering and onboarding steps.
Classified Temporary Appointments
Classified Temporary Hiring Forms
- Temporary PD-CSS (Word Doc) - Template for hiring a Temp Customer Service Specialist
- Temporary PD-GMW (Word Doc)- Template for hiring a Temp General Maintenance Worker
- Temporary PD-OAS (Word Doc) - Template for hiring a Temp Office & Admin Specialist
- Temporary Special Assignment Hires- Overview on hiring for assignments that are very short or the employee is from another state agency.
Circumstances may dictate that faculty tasks cannot be accomplished within the workload of permanent faculty, including overload. When the President/designee determines that such conditions exist s/he may authorize adjunct appointments in accordance with the following principles:
- To meet temporary staffing needs due to enrollment increases for which normal full funding is not provided
- To meet temporary staffing needs when faculty are reassigned to other duties or who are on sabbatical or on other leaves of absences
- To teach courses requiring special expertise and/or meet special programmatic needs of departments, such expertise and needs that cannot otherwise be provided by the faculty within the department
Process for Hiring a New Adjunct
Winona State University initiates an electronic Adjunct Pool Form.
The adjunct candidate provides information relating to their expertise and if they have current employment at another state agency as this may affect how the person is paid and may require placement on the IFO contract salary schedule. The adjunct candidate will be asked to attach a copy of a current CV/Resume and Unofficial Transcript to the form.
Once the adjunct candidate submits the information, the Chair will receive an email indicating the form is ready for review. The Chair will need to confirm the qualifications of the candidate in order to meet the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and program accreditation requirements pertaining to faculty qualifications. Once the Chair approves the online application, an email will be sent to the Dean for review.
The Dean will review and initiate the hire of the new adjunct utilizing the Adjunct Pool Form. When the Dean initiates a hire:
- The Chair is notified and may contact the adjunct with assignment details.
- Human Resources is notified and will send a Welcome Email to the employee requesting official transcripts. Human Resources will also send a Secure Token email to the employee. Once the employee activates the Secure Token, a StarID and Tech ID are created and the employee will be asked to submit the following information: name, personal information, contact information, emergency contact information, I-9 information, credentials (Transcript information) and prior pension service information.
- The Dean's Assistant and/or Department Assistant may also be notified to assist in assignment entry. The secure token sent by Human Resource must be activated by the new hire before their name can be entered into the Term Course Schedule tab in the Curriculum Management system. Curriculum Management will feed the information into FWM at which time assignment details must be approved.
If a class is cancelled after the record in FWM has been approved and processed, update the Curriculum Management system and then immediately email Human Resources to stop the pay as soon as possible. The Curriculum Management system will update FWM to show that the class is no longer being offered.
ASF Fixed Term Appointments
ASF Fixed-term appointments may be used to fill vacancies:
- created by leaves of absence
- to fill positions when normal recruitment and selection procedures cannot be implemented due to time constraints
- to meet peak work demands
- to fill positions that involve head or assistant coaching responsibilities
- to fill positions during departmental or university restructuring
- to fill positions that may be eliminated in the near future
- for special projects
Forms to initiate a fixed term hire can be found in the Affirmative Action Search Toolkit.
Normally, a fixed-term appointment shall not exceed twelve (12) months in duration.
The President may extend such an appointment to a maximum of twelve (12) additional months when such action is deemed to be in the best interest of the university. The Extension of Fixed Term Appointment form (Word) must be completed.