How to Get Started




If you are considering an Individualized Studies major or minor, we encourage you to meet with one of our academic advisors to discuss your interests, to learn about what the program can offer and more.

If you are not a current student of Winona State, but did previously attend the University, you will need to complete the Re-enrollment Request Form.

If you have never been a student at WSU, we encourage you to formally apply to Winona State.


Declaring a Major or Minor

No official application process for the major or minor is required.

Students should complete a Declaration/Change of Major/Minor form


Developing a Student Program Plan

This is the most important step. All Individualized Studies majors and minors are required to develop a student program plan.

Developing your study plan requires researching the occupational outlook for career options and to developing a strategy on how best to design a customized academic degree to achieve your specific educational and career objectives.

The Student Program Plan is an assignment in INDS 300 Academic Planning and Career Foundations.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that you take INDS 300 as early as possible after you declare an Individualized Studies major or minor.

An approved Individualized Studies Student Program Plan is required to be on file for all Individualized Studies majors and minors. You will work with your Individualized Studies advisor on obtaining approval of your Student Program Plan.

If you are unable to get into INDS 300 right away, you are welcome to start working on your Student Program Plan prior to taking INDS 300.