Two international students in cap and gown prepare to receive their diplomas at WSU commencement ceremony.

Apply to WSU

When you apply to Winona State University, you sign up for a high-quality education that will help you pursue your career goals. You'll experience a supportive campus community and a unique slice of American culture.

Start your journey at WSU today!

How to Apply

The steps for applying to WSU are a little different depending on what type of student you are and the program you plan to study.

To begin a bachelor's degree program at WSU, you'll apply as an undergraduate student.

1. Complete the WSU Undergraduate Application

You can apply to WSU online, and here are instructions for the online application if you need help.

If you have difficulties completing the online application, please email

2. Pay the Application Fee

You must pay a $20 non-refundable application fee online or by check written to Winona State University. Learn how to pay the application fee online.

3. Submit Original or Certified True Copy of High School Certificates and Transcripts

If your transcript was not issued in English, include an official translation of the secondary education records with courses and grades taken. WSU requires both the original language and the translated English transcript.

Please review the admission requirements and find the specific standards for your country.

4. If applicable, submit your university or college transcripts

An international student who has attended another university is considered a transfer student.

Students who have completed at least 24 semester credits after high school graduation at a nationally accredited college or university with a 2.4 GPA or greater will generally be admitted.

If your cumulative college GPA is between 2.2 and 2.39, please contact for additional information.

If you have earned fewer than 24 academic credits, your admission application will be evaluated on both secondary school transcripts and university transcripts.

Students applying from universities or colleges outside the U.S.

To transfer credit from colleges or universities outside the United States, international students must provide a course-by-course evaluation from an approved evaluation service.

Students applying from U.S. colleges or universities.

If you took less than 24 credit hours of classes, we require secondary education credentials including a cumulative GPA equivalent to 2.4.

  • If your GPA is lower than 2.4, please email with a personal statement explaining what factors affected your performance or scores, why WSU is of interest, what your college or career goals are, and any evidence that you are ready for college.
  • Courses such as English as a Second Language courses will not be included in the calculation of GPA when determining admissibility.

If you took a college level English class equivalent to ENG 111 at WSU, you may be exempt from the English proficiency requirement.

If you have credits from an institution outside the U.S., please follow the credit evaluation guidelines above.

5. Provide proof of English proficiency

Winona State University requires international students to have a certain level of English proficiency.

Submit an official TOEFL or IELTS score report. The official score reports for the TOEFL must be sent to WSU using the school code 6680.  

Official score reports for the ACT must be sent to WSU using the school code 2162. 

The WSU College Board code is 6680.

WSU also accepts PTE Academic and Duolingo. If there are restrictions on payment in your country, consider getting a pre-paid card from a bank in your country.

Students who are academically qualified for admission to WSU but need to improve English language skills can apply for conditional admission to WSU. You will be placed in the Pathway program and take courses with the English Language Programs.

Admission to the University is the first step. Some degree programs may have additional standards for entrance into the major after you are enrolled at WSU. These include:

6. Send Documents Required for I-20

You will need to provide several documents to be issued an I-20 from WSU. Learn how to get your I-20 form.

Students transferring to WSU from an institution in the US, fill out the Transfer Recommendation Form (PDF) to transfer your SEVIS record.

Students who are academically qualified for admission to WSU but need to improve English language skills can apply for Pathway admission.

Students who are awarded conditional admission to WSU join in the Pathway program and take courses with English Language Programs. Depending on the language level, you will be placed in both ESL and academic courses.

Successful completion of courses with English Language Programs is required for admission to WSU.

Use the WSU online application form to get started, and here's instructions if you need help. You can also learn how to get your I-20 form.

If you are applying for English Language Programs only, please complete the ELP Application Form (PDF).

To study a graduate program at WSU, you must meet the School of Graduate Studies admissions requirements and complete the application process.

Upon admission, International Student and Scholar Services will process your immigration document and send you the required I-20 to apply for a visa to study in the Unites States.

Learn how to get your I-20 form.

Exchange and visiting students usually enroll at WSU for just a semester or two as a study abroad experience while earning their degree from their home university.

Please follow the steps below to submit your application:

  1. Apply online or complete the International Student Application (PDF)
  2. Pay Application Fee $20. Here's instructions how to pay online.
  3. Submit official transcripts
  4. Submit English Language Proficiency Exam Scores. WSU school code for TOEFL is 6680. ACT school code is 2162.
  5. Send an original bank statement with a minimum of US $24,000 balance. 
  6. Send a copy of your passport or birth certificate.
Learn how to get your I-20 form.

A returning student is someone who studied at WSU for a while, then left the university. Now the student wishes to return to their academic program.

Please let us know about your intention to return to WSU by emailing

Important Things to Keep in Mind

All documents for admissions become property of WSU. We encourage applicants to submit certified true copies when originals are the only copies.

You must submit an official English translation if your original document is not in English.

Official academic records should be issued directly by your school, college or university. You can also have official academic records certificated by a legal organization, such as Education USA.

Documents must be in a sealed envelope and must bear an official stamp.

Questions about Your Application Status?

If you have questions about the status of your application, contact ISSS at