How to Apply for F-1 Reinstatement
If you have not maintained your F-1 status, you must meet with the ISSS Office to get your visa reinstated.
It is important to quickly reinstate your F-1 status since it is illegal to remain in the U.S. without a valid visa.
To apply for reinstatement of your F-1 status, complete the I-20 Reinstatement Application Form (PDF).
Bring this form and the following items with you to your appointment with ISSS.
- Certified Bank Check payable to Department of Homeland Security
- Copy of I-94 record. Copy of front and back if you have a card or find your most recent I-94 online.
- Copy of new I-20
- Completed I-539 form
- Personal Letter outlining the following:
- The reason that you are asking for reinstatement
- How long you have been out of status (if longer than 5 months, discuss with the ISSS prior to writing letter)
- The violation of status resulted from circumstances beyond your control and that failure to be reinstated would result in extreme hardship to you
- Statement that you are currently pursuing or intending to pursue a full course of study at Winona State University
- Copy of transcript
- Copy of new financial support documents