If Krueger Library does not own the book, article, or other items you need, you can get it from another library. Textbooks are only available at the WSU bookstore
Need a larger view? Click here to view on YouTube.
How to Request Items
Books and Videos
When you are searching in a database, use the FindIt! at WSU button to find full text. Follow this step-by-step tutorial on finding full text articles in databases. If you click on the FindIt! button and no full text is available at WSU, you can request the article from another library:
- Click "More Options"
- Click "WSU Interlibrary Loan"
- Enter your barcode number (on the back of your Warrior ID) and your password (your last name)
- All of the necessary article information will be filled in automatically. Check for accuracy.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, check the copyright box and click "Go"
If you already have a citation, use the CitationLinker to find full-text. If we do not have full-text, request it from another library using the process above.
How to Receive or Pick Up Items
Books and Videos
When your requested item arrives in the library, an automatic email is generated and sent to your WSU email account. Only requestors with email addresses ending in @winona.edu receive notices. All others must track their requests by logging into their library account. The item(s) can be picked up at the Front Desk.
There are two ways you can receive articles from interlibrary loan: an email with an attachment or an email with a link and instructions to download your article.
- A member of the Krueger Library staff or email@example.com may email you with the article attached.
- Minitex (firstname.lastname@example.org) or another library may email you a link with login information. If you receive your article from Minitex, you have a limited time to download your article. It will be removed in 7 days or after 5 viewings. Please download and save it to your device before it is removed.
Troubleshoot, Track & Renew Requests
Wondering where your item is? Check your library record and look at the status of your requests. If the status is:
- "UNFLLD" or "locate failed," your request will be sent out to more libraries within 24 hours
- "Sent to supplier," a library is working on your request
- "Shipped," the item is on its way here
- "Loaned to library," your item is available for you to pick up
If you are blocked from requesting something or receive a message saying you have reached your limit, check your library record. Your borrowing privileges may have been blocked because of overdue items.
If the computer will not accept your request for any reason, email us at email@example.com with the information on the material that you are trying to obtain. If you have been blocked, Interlibrary Loan staff will enter your request as soon as you resolve the issues associated with your account. If there is any other problem, Interlibrary Loan staff will process your request as quickly as possible.
To track the status of your requests, log into your account from the library homepage and click on “ILL Requests.” If the computer will not display your requests, contact Susan Byom at firstname.lastname@example.org with the information on the material that you are trying to renew.
To renew requested items:
- Log into your account from the library homepage
- Click on “ILL Requests” This will bring up a list of the books you have borrowed.
- Click on the box next to the item you wish to renew
- Click “Renew Selected ILLs” or “Renew all ILLs”
Renewals are allowed at the discretion of the lending library. If the lending library grants the renewal, the status will change for that item to “renewal granted.” Otherwise, the status will change to “renewal denied.” You are responsible for returning interlibrary loan materials by the due dates.
Policies for Patrons
The Krueger Library's Interlibrary Loan Policies include the following:
- Anyone with a current WSU ID or Krueger Library courtesy card may request items through interlibrary loan
- Courtesy card holders may request items through interlibrary loan. These requests are processed on a case-by-case basis upon approval from the Interlibrary Loan office.
- If a Krueger Library item is checked out, we will request the item from another library
- A lost item is billed at $75.00 or the lending library's charge, whichever is greater
- If the item requested is not located in a Minnesota library, it will be ordered at the discretion of the Interlibrary Loan office
- Notices are only sent via email. Most interlibrary loan articles will be sent via email. Articles that aren't sent via email and all interlibrary loan books may be picked up at the Krueger Library Front Desk
- Krueger Library late return policies apply to interlibrary loan items
Policies for Borrowing Libraries
The Krueger Library has the following policies in place for borrowing libraries:
- Copyright must be properly acknowledged by borrowing libraries
- Requests received via Aleph (MnPALS), MINITEX, OCLC, Docline, email, fax and ALA loan forms will be honored
- Books and videos are loaned for a period of 13 weeks. The borrowing library may renew books if a Winona State University patron has not requested or put a hold on the item
- Periodicals and uncataloged microform materials are not loaned, with the exception of Federal Depository materials
- Cataloged microfilm circulates
- Krueger Library patrons have first priority; items checked out to them will not be recalled for use by a patron of another library
- Replacement costs for Interlibrary Loan are the current price for the item as determined by the WSU library plus $10, or, if no price can be determined, $10.00