The Climbing Center at Winona State University is one of the largest university climbing walls in the Midwest.
The Climbing Center Features
- Nearly 6000 square feet of climbing surface
- 32 top ropes
- Two bouldering walls up to 14ft tall
- Belay ledge
- Traditional climbing anchor practice wall
This climbing facility is sure to meet the needs of all participants, both recreational and academic.
Learn the Ropes (Belay Clinic) (14yrs or older)
Learn the Ropes takes you beyond the Auto Belay stations and allows you to access much more terrain at the Winona State Climbing Facility. This class will help you learn the basics of indoor climbing as well as top rope belaying (securing the rope for the climber). You will learn how to fit a harness properly, how to tie in, and basic climbing techniques. Class is approximately 2 hours and all equipment required is provided at no additional cost.
Students - Free
Membership holder - Free
All other users $15
- Belaying Equipment
- Attaching the climber to the climbing rope
- Fundamental Principles of Belay
- The Belay System
- Belaying a Top Rope
- Basic climbing technique
- Introduction of Climbing Center rules and regulations
Open to All
- Birthday parties
- Club activities
- Professional development and corporate team building programs
Climbing Center rates are designed to meet a wide range of needs; daily, monthly, and annual membership rates, as well as family rates.
Please note: Before participating in any climbing activities you must fill out and print a Climbing Wall Participant Agreement. Please bring a printed copy of this form to the Climbing Wall Center.
Special Events and Programs
Want to learn more about climbing or hone your current climbing skills? We offer a variety of events and programs that will help you do just that.
- Kids Climbing camps
- Family Outdoor Adventure Programs
- Climbing competitions
Academic Offerings and Opportunities
- Intro to Rock Climbing Classes
- Climbing Fitness Classes
- Climbing Wall Instructor Courses
- K-12 Programming
- Experiential Education Courses/Programs
Regardless of experience or age, the climbing center has something for everyone. Don’t let the weather slow you down; everyday is a great day to climb at the climbing center!