WSU Regulation Number 5-9
Excused Absence For Unclassified Employees
To prescribe the procedures to be used by unclassified employees requesting authorization to be absent from campus.
Request For Excused Absence
- WSU Unclassified Personnel Request for Excused Absence Form #SL-30002 will be submitted, in duplicate, to request those types of excused absence from campus as authorized in the appropriate bargaining agreement or pay plan. Forms are available in Mail and Supply.
- All requests for leave, with the possible exception of sick leave caused by sudden illness, should be submitted early enough to permit processing for approval prior to the absence.
- It will be the responsibility of the unclassified person to notify the Department Chairperson or supervisor if he or she is unable to report to the campus because of illness. After a person returns to duty, an excused absence form will be processed. Department Chairpersons will insure that all absences because of illness reported to them are recorded through an excused absence form. A dean/supervisor may require a medical examination, medical certificate or statement from a medical practitioner as deemed necessary for approving the utilization of sick leave.
- After final action has been taken on a request, the original will be returned to the unclassified employee with the duplicate being retained in the individuals leave file in the Human Resources Office after posting to the leave record. The original of a sick leave request will be returned to the individual after action by the Vice President or Dean, and the duplicate will be forwarded to the Human Resources Office for posting to the leave record and filing.
Recording Annual and Sick Leave
- Annual Leave and Sick Leave balances will be maintained for each unclassified employee as part of his/her payroll record, with leave activity and balances appearing on the paycheck stub.
- Vacation and sick leave accruals will be credited in accordance with the appropriate bargaining agreement/plan language.
This WSU Regulation supersedes Procedure 4-11 dated September 22, 1978.
Thomas F. Stark
SUB and IFO/MEA, Art. 17 and 18
SUB and MSUAASF, Art. 17 and 18
SUB 7.2, Subd. 1
Last Modified: Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:33