Lessons in Life will be Repeated Until They are Learned
Problems can become your teachers so when adversity strikes, choose to learn a lesson. Through the process of overcoming adversity, you can actually grow and learn something about yourself.
You may learn how to better relationships, create a greater sense of self-worth, develop a deeper spiritual life, heighten appreciation for life or discover strengths you didn’t even know you had. In learning these things, you become armed with knowledge that you can then apply to other areas of your life and future events.
People who are resilient also learn to accept certain things:
- Change and difficulty are a natural and normal part of life
- Transition and growth will take time and they allow themselves that time
- That it's better to focus their time and efforts on what you can change (oneself - what you think, feel, and do) and not on things they cannot change (the past, other people, environment etc.)
- What can I learn from this?
- What are the things that I cannot control in this situation?
- What are the things that I can control, and how am I going to make a change for the better?
CLASP Lectures - CLASP talks promote interdisciplinary discussion and exchange. Attend and expand your mind.
Lyceum Speaker Series - The Lyceum Speaker Series provides cultural enrichment and educational opportunities for all in the WSU community.
Course Catalog - Explore the course catalog and take an intro class that's outside your declared major.
Apps, Videos & Websites
The Power of Yet - Carol Dweck talks about the benefits of developing a growth mindset and learning from all experiences in this TEDx video.
The Power of Belief: Mindset for Success - Learn how your mindset is key to accomplishing your goals and achieving success in this TEDx video.
John Legend: Success Through Effort - A video interview with singer-songwriter John Legend in which he explains how we can all be successful by learning from our failures.
What Door Opened Worksheet (PDF) - This exercise in optimism can help you use negative or disappointing situation as a learning opportunity.
Letter to a Future Student Worksheet (PDF) - Sometimes it's easier to give other people advice than figure it out on your own-- even just a fictional future student at WSU. You may find helpful strategies that you didn't consciously think to use in your own life.