Alpha Kappa Delta - Omicron of MN
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is an International Sociology Honor Society representing social research for the purpose of service.
The chapter recognizes and promotes excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and other activities that will lead to improve the human condition.
Meaning of Alpha Kappa Delta
In the chapter's name:
- Alpha stands for anthropos, meaning mankind.
- Kappa is katamanthano, meaning to examine closely or acquire knowledge.
- Delta stands for diakoneo, meaning to do service.
Member Eligibility Requirements
WSU's Omicron chapter of AKD invites applications for new members.
To meet the membership requirements, you must:
- Be at least a junior (have earned 60 credits)
- Have an overall GPA of at least 3.3
- Have a sociology GPA of at least 3.0
- Have taken at least four courses in sociology (12 credits) or demonstrated a serious interest in sociology
The $50 lifetime membership fee will be paid for by the Department of Sociology, Criminal Justice, and Geography, along with the cost of honor cords to wear at graduation.
Students may apply for AKD membership in the fall or spring of each year. However, the formal initiation ceremony will only be held in the spring.
Order forms for additional merchandise are available at the Alpha Kappa Delta website.
Brief History of Alpha Kappa Delta
Alpha Kappa Delta Society was founded in 1920 in the Sociology Department of the University of Southern California by Dr. E. S. Bogardus.
The name, freely interpreted, signifies social research for the purpose of service.
There are more than 640 chapters of the Society and more than 110,000 lifetime members.
Benefits of Membership
Benefits of membership include:
- certificate of membership
- free one-year subscription of Sociological Inquiry
- AKD sponsors student paper contests with cash prizes
- AKD provides honoraria for initiation speakers, funds for student travel to regional sociological meetings, and funds research symposia
- access to purchase honor cords for graduation, AKD pins
- AKD members who become Civil Service employees are eligible to receive a two-step boost in pay grade if they list AKD membership on their applications