All income earned by students at Winona State University is subject to income tax withholding, including work study. All individuals who work in the United States must file income tax forms for any year for which they were employed. The deadline for filing income tax forms each year is April 15.
International students must also file income tax forms if they work in the United States. Winona State University attempts each year to provide special assistance to international students, who file forms that differ from those completed by U.S. citizens.Estimated income tax (for both federal and state) may be withheld from each of your paychecks depending on the following:
- How you completed your W-4 form at the time you were hired
- How much money you make each pay period
- Whether you are a U.S. citizen or an international student
When you file your income tax return, if too much estimated tax was withheld you will receive a refund. If not enough tax was withheld, you may owe tax at the time you file.
Filing Taxes: W-2 Form
You will need a W-2 Form from each of your employers for the previous year before you can file your income tax returns. By law, the employer has until January 31 of the new year to provide W-2 forms to their employees.
If you access your W-2 Form electronically (recommended), you will not have to wait to get a copy in the mail. Once the State of Minnesota releases the forms in mid- to late January, students can go online and find and print the form immediately.
Student employees must consent to access the form electronically, which may be done at any time. If you have already consented, you do not need to consent again; your W-2 will be available to you online and a paper copy will not be sent to your home.Steps to Consent:
- Log in to student eServices
- Click on Dashboard in the left-hand menu.
- In the Action item area, find a message that says “Tax Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement - to receive it online, enroll now." Click on this link.
- When the next screen displays, click on Confirm.
- Click on Student Employment and then W-2 Tax Form (will only be available after the State releases the forms in mid- to late January).