Student Senate is an excellent way of getting involved at Winona State University and showcasing your leadership skills and abilities. In addition to three executive positions (President, Vice President, and Treasurer), there are 28 senator positions representing each college, class, and the general student population at-large as well as Associate Senator positions.
How to become a Student Senator
- Have a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the time of election
- Not be on disciplinary probation with WSU
- Be able to complete the duties outlined in the WSUSS Constitution
- Complete the Student Senate Election Application Form online
- Adhere to the WSUSS Campaign Rules outlined in the WSUSS Constitution
- Earn the most votes for the seat you are running for
- Fall General Election Applications Open: 8/28/2017
- Fall General Election Applications Due: 9/11/2017
- Fall General Elections: 9/18/2017 – 9/21/2017
Associate SenatorsAssociate Senators serve as voting members on Student Senate committees. While Associate Senators do not get a vote in Student Senate meetings, their votes do count when drafting committee recommendations for the Senate body as whole when they come to a vote. All Associate Senators must meet the qualification requirements outlined above.
To become an Associate Senator, simply attend two consecutive committee meetings after which Student Senate will approve your name as a voting member on that standing committee.