To support faculty in the planning and implementation of a faculty-led program, we've compiled helpful resources, information, and examples.
Please contact Kathy Jicinsky, Assistant Director of Study Abroad for Faculty-led Programs, at email@example.com with any questions.
So, You're Thinking of a Faculty-led Program
From One Faculty to Another
Leading a faculty-led program can be a truly rewarding, educational, memorable, and life-changing experience! Review notes, information, and suggestions from faculty-led program leaders in the So, You're Thinking of a Faculty-led Program (PDF).
Review Faculty-led Programs Handbook
The Faculty Handbook (PDF) is designed to provide faculty with suggestions, policies, guidelines, and information as they develop and lead a WSU faculty-led program.
It is a living document, regularly revised and refined with faculty input and in response to changes in world conditions or state, institutional or federal policies.
Checklist of Responsibilities for Faculty-led Programs
There are many components to coordinating and leading a faculty-led program, and we've created a helpful chart that outlines a checklist of responsibilities for faculty-led programs (PDF).
Exploratory Funding Grant Application and Review Rubric
Faculty can apply for exploratory funding to help offset some of the costs associated with travel to do research/planning for an upcoming faculty-led course they will propose.
Applications are accepted on an annual basis.
Exploratory applications for Academic Year 2020-2021 are currently being accepted. The application deadline is Nov. 1, 2020. One exploratory trip will be funded with priority given to:
- faculty submitting exploratory applications to new international destinations for a future faculty-led course, and
- faculty who have never led faculty-led programs before, and/or
- faculty who are seeking to target a specialized population in their faculty-led program audience.
The recipient must spend the funds by June 30, 2022.
The Exploratory Funding Application is found online in the Terra Dotta study abroad application system.
- Log in using your starID@winona.edu and password
- Click "Apply now" and select the academic year you hope to take the exploratory trip
- Click on the "Exploratory Funding Application" link under the Application Questionnaire(s) section to access the application
Please contact Kathy Jicinsky, Assistant Director of Study Abroad for Faculty-led Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the application form.
Funding approval depends on availability of resources and cannot be guaranteed.
When there are many requests or funding is limited, the Faculty-Led Study Away Programs Subcommittee (FLPS) makes recommendations using the Exploratory Funding Application Review Rubric (PDF) for evaluation of requests.
If approved to receive funding for an exploratory trip, you will be required to submit a post-trip report (Word Doc) within two weeks of return prior to receiving reimbursement.
Faculty-led Proposal Application, Deadlines, and Review Rubric
Faculty-led proposal applications are found online in the Terra Dotta study abroad application system.
Review the Faculty-led Proposal Instructions (PDF) for step-by-step guidance of how to complete an application, review FAQs, and learn tips.
Please contact Kathy Jicinsky, Assistant Director of Study Abroad for Faculty-led Programs, at email@example.com with any questions about the proposal application process.
The Faculty-led Study Away Programs Subcommitee (FLPS) evaluates proposal applications using the Faculty-led Proposal Rubric (PDF).
Proposal DeadlinesJan. 15, 2021: Any course (new or repeat) to be taught in:
- Fall 2021
- Winter Break 2022 (December 2021/January 2022)
- Spring 2022
- Spring Break 2022
- Summer 2022
If you'd like to review sample faculty-led course proposals, please contact the Study Abroad office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travel, Health, and Safety Policies
- The WSU Business Office provides helpful travel-related policies and information.
- The Crisis Management Plan for WSU Off-Campus Study Programs (PDF) is an important resource for faculty leaders. This is shared in printed and electronic copies with faculty prior to their program's departure.
- Faculty leaders complete a Program Incident Report (Word Document) and email it to email@example.com as soon as possible should an incident occur.
Upon Program Completion: Faculty Narrative Report
After completing a faculty-led program, faculty leaders are required to submit a Narrative Report (Word document) within two weeks of return.