Full-Time MN Limited Licensure

If you have completed a Minnesota approved teacher preparation program and attempted to take all exams required for a Minnesota License but did not pass one or more of the required tests, then you may want apply for a Full-time Limited License. The first step is to complete the online application. Then submit the required documents to the Educator Licensing Office in the Minnesota Department of Education:

The instructions are also available in a printable format for your convenience: Full-time MN Limited License (PDF).

Note: Even though the checklist will ask for the verification form, the district verification form is not needed for the 2014-2015 school year per a Minnesota Board of Teaching resolution.

*MTLE exam results can be verified through a secure website and do not need to be sent in with the application. If you completed Praxis testing before 9/1/2010 you will need to submit a copy of your scores. If you have the original PDF electronic score reports from Praxis, then you can email this file to mde.scorereports@state.mn.us and include your process number from the completed online application in your email. Alternatively,  you can mail the original score sheet with the application materials. Your original score sheet will be returned to you. You can also email Paula O'Malley at pomalley@winona.edu for a letter to verify your scores (list limited license in the email subject line).

A full-time limited application is issued per school year and can be submitted for the upcoming school year after July 1. A full-time limited license is valid from the date issued until the next June 30. An application received prior to July 1 would be valid until June 30 of the same year and candidates would need to apply again after July 1 for a full-time limited license for the 2014-2015 academic year.

If you already have a file folder number with the MN Dept. of Education (eg. a substitute teaching license), then you will need a paper application. You can call 651.582.8691 to have a paper application sent to you. Applicants who have been issued their third limited license should also contact Educator Licensing to discuss options.

Any questions should be sent to mde.educator-licensing@state.mn.us or pomalley@winona.edu