Aspen Capital eScholarship Competition
20 Winona State students will win $1,000 scholarships.
Aspen Capital, in partnership with Winona State University, provides the latest mobile devices and technology to Winona State Students.
Attention all rising YouTubers, budding digital photographers and artists both visual and aural: Aspen Capital and Winona State want to give 20 WSU students $1,000!
Okay, you will have to earn the scholarship, but the method to earn it is fun, interesting and will make use of your favorite skills.
Students can submit entries to any of these four exciting categories:
- Virtual Backgrounds
- Laptop Cover Skin Design
- eFlick (video)
- Social Media Campaign
Enter as many times as you wish although you may only win one scholarship.
Learn more about the eScholarship program.
What is this year’s theme?
This year's theme is "Building Connections & Bringing People Together".
With the current COVID-19 environment we thought this would be a great theme for this year.
Eligibility & How to Apply
Who is eligible?
All part-time or full-time students in the eWarrior Digital Life &Learning Program are eligible. (Hint: if you have a WSU laptop and tablet, you are enrolled in eWarrior.) Teams are encouraged to participate!
When are applications due?
Entries must be submitted by midnight on Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Online Submission Information
You must use the WSU Foundations Scholarship form to submit your entries for events.
Remember to attach your entry! Entries can be submitted at any time from Jan. 1 through March 31, 2021.
Submission: eFlick Competition Only
- All entrees must be submitted via a YouTube link. If you do not have a YouTube account, please create one for this competition.
- Make sure your video on YouTube can be viewed by the Public.
Why does Aspen Capital Sponsor the eScholarship Competition?
Aspen Capital has partnered with Winona State University’s eWarrior Digital Life and Learning Program since 2000, providing WSU students with the latest laptops and tablets.
As part of Aspen Capital’s commitment to WSU students, the eWarrior scholarship competition was created to award one $1000 scholarship the first year.
For the 2020-21 scholarship competition, Aspen Capital has generously donated $20,000, enabling us to provide 20 students with $1000 scholarships.
How are Scholarship Winners Chosen?
Winner(s) in each category will receive a $1000 scholarship provided by Aspen Capital. Winners will be announced in the beginning of February.
The number of scholarships given in each category depends upon the number of entries. A total of 20 will be awarded.
Virtual Background and Laptop Cover Skin projects will be judged on:
- Creativity – 40 points (40%)
- Visual appeal/photographic quality – 30 points (30%)
- Represents WSU – 30 points (30%)
eFlick projects will be judged on:
- Use of the eWarrior theme – 20 points (20%)
- Overall impact (inspiring, persuasive, informational) – 20 points (20%)
- Creativity – 20 points (20%)
- Memorable content and delivery – 20 points (20%)
- Clear message – 20 points (20%)
Social Media Campaigns will be judged on:
- Use of the eWarrior theme – 20%
- Overall impact (inspiring, persuasive, informational) – 15%
- Originality/Creativity – 30%
- Memorable content and deliver – 15%
- Clear message – 20%
Who chooses the scholarship winners?
The WSU eWarrior Digital Life & Learning Scholarship Committee includes representatives from WSU and Aspen Capital.
What are the Rules?
- Must be a WSU student that is participating in the eWarrior: Digital Life & Learning Program
- Deadline: All entrees must be submitted by Wed., March 31, 2021
- Only entries that are 100% original will be considered
- Entry must follow this year's theme
- Only entries that follow exact guidelines will be considered
- All entries must be created/edited on WSU devices (laptop, tablet) or your phone
- Technology: Must use WSU supported software or software that is freely accessible by all
- You may submit as many entries as you wish but you will only be eligible to win one scholarship
- Scholarships are awarded to single winners or all participants on a winning team
- Teams may be used for the eFlick Competition only
- You may have up to four people on a team for the eFlick Competition
- Scholarships will be awarded for Spring 2021
- Depending on COVID-19 safety precautions, you will be required to attend a casual-dress luncheon with your benefactor
Laptop/Tablet questions and software training available to all students at the e-Warrior Digital Learning Commons in Library 105.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for an appointment. Walk-ins accepted depending upon availability of staff.
By submitting an entry, I guarantee that the content of my entry is free of any copyright restriction and agree to provide WSU with copies of any copyright releases I have acquired, should they be requested.
Winona State University cannot be held responsible for any consequences resulting from possible copyright violation.
I agree to defend and indemnify the University and/or the University’s licensees and assignees and hold them harmless against all claims, suits, costs losses, damages, and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, that the
University and/or the University’s licensees and assignees may sustain by reason of any unlawful matter contained in the program.
WSU also reserves the right to use submissions to the e-Competition, in whole or in part, for future promotion and demonstration.
What are the Specifications for Entry?
What if I don’t know how to create a video or use the software needed for my project?
The Digital Learning Commons (DLC) offers support to help you get the most out of the programs and apps on your laptop and tablet. The DLC is located in Krueger Library 105.
Specifications for Virtual Background entries
Take a photo with your tablet or phone.
- Zoom Backgrounds
- Zoom background photo/graphic should be under 5MB in size.
- Accepted file formats are: JPG/JPEG, 24-bit PNG, or GIF.
- Microsoft Team Backgrounds
- Backgrounds minimum size: 360x360 pixels, maximum size: 2048x2048 pixels.
- File types: JPEG, PNG, BMP.
- Aspect ratio: greater than 4.
- Entry must follow the theme: "Building Connections & Bringing People Together".
- All entrees are entered into competition under a Creative Commons License. If you do not know what this is, please be sure to read about it before you enter.
Specifications for Laptop Cover Skin Entries
Use your creativity and imagination to design a laptop cover that the eWarrior Digital Life and Learning Program might use in the future.
Covers are removable vinyl “skins” for protecting and customizing laptops.
Use an original, customized photograph or design your own image using any application that is available on your tablet or laptop or freely accessible to all.
- Format: *.jpg
- Size: 13”x9”
- Editing: Creating and editing may be done on your WSU laptop or tablet. You may use any application to enhance your photo that is freely accessible to all WSU students.
- Logo: Include the official WSU logo in the design; the logo must be 1”x1” or larger. Review logo standards and download an approved logo.
- Color: If you use purple in your design, you must use the official WSU color -
- Pantone Violet
- Hex #408A1
- R: 75, G: 8, B: 161
- C: 92, Y: 0, M: 98, K: 0
- Images: WSU images can be found on the “eWarrior Laptop Cover Skin Design Competition” Wiki page under Image Gallery and Color Information. These are optional for use in your design.
Specifications for eFlick entries
Create a 30 or 60 second video/commercial using the video camera on your WSU tablet or phone. Edit the video on your WSU laptop or tablet and publish it to YouTube.
If you do not have a YouTube account, please create one for this competition. Make sure your YouTube video has a “Public” privacy setting.
If you work as a team and win, each of you would receive a $1000 scholarship - up to four on a team.
- Format: YouTube video created with WSU supported software or software that is freely accessible to all.
- Length: 30 seconds or 60 seconds
- Tone: Nothing dark, no swearing or vulgarity.
Specifications for Social Media Campaign entries
Use your imagination to create a marketing campaign around the theme "Building Connections & Bringing People Together".
Present your ideas and plan with a campaign consisting of the theme using coordinated activities with specific goals which produce outcomes that can be tracked and measured!
- Entry must follow the theme: "Building Connections & Bringing People Together"
- You need to show us your campaign ideas.
- Outline your campaign ideas in a Word document.
- Create a couple examples (Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram posts) that would advertise your campaign.
- Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram posts. Please specify which platform your campaign is for.
- You need to show us your campaign ideas.
- Images: Image width/height: Minimum 600x335 pixels, although larger images (for example 12--x675) will be better optimized for when users click to expand images. Aspect ratio: 16:9. Image file size: maximum 15mb
- Video: MP4 and MOV video formats on mobile apps. On the web, we support the MP4 video format with H264 format with AAC audio. You can upload videos up to 512MB; however, you will be prompted to edit videos to 2 minutes and 20 seconds or less in length.
- The best image format for Instagram is .JPG as it can support the high resolutions while also being a smaller file size. The second best image format for Instagram is .PNG.
- Preferred Format for Instagram: JPG, JPEG.
- Instagram Other Supported Formats: JPG, JPEG, PNG, BNP, non-animated GIF
- Aspect Ratios: 1:1 (Square), 4:5 (Instagram now supports non square images such a Portrait) through to 1.91:1, 16:9 for Instagram Story.
- Images Resolutions: Minimum 150x150, Maximum resolution: 1920x1080.
- Not allowed: animated GIF files.
- Technology: Must use WSU supported software or freeware that is available to all
- Technology: Entry must be created and edited on WSU laptop, tablet, or you may use your phone