Become a Tutor or S2I Leader
Being a peer tutor or Supplement to Instruction (S2I) leader can be an extremely rewarding experience. These are paid student help positions that allow you to gain valuable work experience while helping others and enrich your own experience at WSU. The purpose of becoming a tutor or S2I is to help students help themselves, or to guide them to the point at which they become an independent learner and thus no longer need academic support. The current pay is $9.50 per hour.
Peer tutors work in their most qualified subject area(s) on a one-to-one basis and in small or large group sessions. Tutors are required to help plan, create, and implement marketing strategies to promote Tutoring Services to WSU students and assist with other duties assigned. Tutors are required to enroll in a 1 cr. pass/no credit training course or complete the training workshops within one year of beginning employment. Most tutors work, on average, 6-8 hours per week.
S2I leaders are students who have already taken the course or a similar upper-level course. They are often majors within the department and all are highly recommended by the faculty. The leader sits in on the class lecture so they know what this instructor is covering and then plans and facilitates study sessions. Most s2i leaders work 7-9 hours a week.
- Applicants need a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher with a minimum of 32 credits completed (12 credits must have been completed at WSU)
- A or B in courses you are interested in
- Students must be enrolled with 6 or more credits each semester they tutor
- Applicants need good communication skills and must have the ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds and with varied skill level)
- Applicants must have a completed recommendation form from a faculty member in each subject area you would like to tutor (i.e. Accounting, Economics, and Math)