Academic Affairs and
Meeting Minutes of November
Attendees: Susan Ballard, Barbara Boseker, Chris Buttram, John Campbell, Gretchen Cohenour, Andrew Ferstl, Amy Hermodson, Dan Kauffman, Fred Lee, Vernon Leighton, Rich MacDonald, Charla Miertschin, Randy Miller, Anne Plummer, Kevin Possin, Joyce Quella, Paul Schumacher, Ed Thompson, Kerry Williams
Guests: J. Paul Johnson
I. Call to order - Meeting was called to order at by Chair, Charla Miertschin
II. Adoption of Agenda - Items added under XI. New Business: A. MnSCU 3.10 policy, B. changes in library services, C. Transfer credits-MN house bill
Approval of minutes of
IV. Chair’s report
We have reached a critical stage in IFO contract negotiations. Union negotiators will be sending out e-mail updates. Read e-mails and consult the IFO webpage for more information. Questions may be directed to Mary Kesler or Matt Hyle.
V. Committee assignments - positions remaining to be filled (No action)
A. Course and Program Proposal Subcommittee (CPPS)
B. University Studies Subcommittee (USS)
VI. General Education substitution
A. Josh Piotrowicz - transfer
Campbell/Possin, m/s, to disapprove this course as a course substitution. Much discussion followed.
Plummer/Thompson, m/s, to call the previous question. Motion passed.
Motion passed with a division of: 9 yes, 7 no. (Substitution request denied.)
VII. Course and Program Proposal Subcommittee (CPPS) report, Ed Thompson.
Notice: last time
committee will meet for the academic year 03-04 will be
A. New courses
1. MUS 108 Audio Production I (3 SH)
2. MUS 208 Audio Production II (3 SH)
3. MUS 207 Electronic Music II (3 SH)
4. MUS 256 Jazz Improvisation II (2 SH)
5. MUS 355 Jazz Improvisation III (2 SH)
6. MUS 356 Jazz Improvisation IV (2 SH)
7. CMST 291 Topics in Multicultural Communication (3 SH)
B. Revised courses
1. POLS 240 (new # 343) Human Rights in Theory and Practice (3 SH)
2. CMST 196 (new # 296) Fundamentals of Interviewing (3 SH)
3. CMST 391 (new # 451) Topics in Communication Studies (3 SH)
4. CMST 392 (new # 452) Topics in Rhetorical Studies (3 SH)
C. New programs
1. Sociology - Family Studies option
2. Sociology - Human Services option
D. Revised programs
1. B.A. Major – Communication Studies. Revisions include the deletion of CMST 261 and various course number changes and various reorganization. Major remains at 42 SH.
2. B.A. Minor – Communication Studies. Revisions include the deletion of CMST 261 the incorporation of more electives. Minor remains at 21 SH.
3. B.A. Minor – Intercultural Communication. Revisions include a reorganization of required and elective courses. Minor remains at 21 SH.
A2C2 approved courses and programs.
E. Assignment of courses to 100, 200, 300, or 400 level. Ed Thompson sought clarification of 100-400 level courses. Question as to criteria for labeling of courses. After discussion, consensus is that departments are free to present courses at levels they deem appropriate.
Notice: There will be no USS meeting on
A. USP course substitution process - Small amendments have been made to previous forms already approved.
B. USP Assessment Plan - The USP assessment plan is currently being reviewed by the subcommittee with regard to context of need, goals, and underlying principals or plan. Details to follow.
C. Course Requirements
1. Arts & Science Core: Natural Science
GEOS 104 Catastrophes & Extinctions (3 SH) - pending revisions
GEOS 116 Meteorology (3 SH) - pending revisions
2. Unity & Diversity: Science & Social Policy
GEOS 325 Environmental Geoscience (3 SH)
D. Flag Courses
HIST 496 Senior Research Seminar II (3 SH) - pending revisions
HIST 370 Legal Writing and Research I (3 SH)
2. Critical Analysis
BIOL 310 Genetics (3 SH)
HIST 495 Senior Research Seminar I (3 SH) - pending revisions
E. Flag removal
1. English: Remove oral flag from ENG 303, 304, and 305.
2. English: Remove writing flag from ENG 470 and 471.
A2C2 approved courses
E. Johnson clarified that the English department’s removal of flags from ENG 303,304 and 305 and ENG 470 and 471 will be effective fall 2004 while department undertakes new flag proposals.
1. BIOL 241 - course title change - current: Principles of Biology I (4 SH), new: Basics of Life
2. BIOL 242 - course title change - current: Principles of Biology II (4 SH), new: Organismal Diversity
3. BIOL 426 - one-time course offering: Animal Behavior Lab (1 SH), Spring 2004
4. BIOL 444 - course title change - current: Hematology (2 SH), new: Immunochemistry and Hematology
5. BIOL 446 Immunology Laboratory (1 SH) - course description change - new: This course will introduce students to the theory and applicaiton of modern immunological techniques. Topics included are antibody detection methods using precipitation, agglutination, ELISA, western blot analysis, immunoifluorescence, and immunoelectrosphoresis. Other methods include SDS-PAGE, antigen preparation, protein analysis, and differential white blood cell counts. Co-requisite: concurrent or previous enrollment in BIOL 445. Offered yearly.
6. BIOL 462 - course title change - current: General Parasitology (4 SH), new: Parasitology.
B. Communication Studies
1. CMST 381 Advanced Intercultural and International Communication (3 SH) change in prerequisites- Current: CMST 281. New: CMST 281 or instructor’s permission.
2. CMST 399 Internship (3 SH) - change in prerequisites- Current: Instructor’s consent and a minimum major GPA of 2.50. Add: CMST majors only.
3. CMST 466 Organizational Communication (3 SH) - change in number and prerequisites- Current: Two of the following: CMST 371, CMST 387, and CMST 389 or instructor’s permission. New number: 366, new prerequisite: CMST 191 and 282 or instructor’s permission for non-majors.
4. CMST 480 Communication Research Methods (3 SH) - change in number and prerequisites- Current: CMST 371 or CMST 387, or CMST 466. New number: 380, new prerequisite: one 3xx-level theory course.
5. CMST 485 Senior Seminar in Communication Theory (3 SH) - change in description and prerequisites- Current: In-depth study and research on individually selected topics. The seminar and students’ research projects build upon work begun in CMST 480. Prerequisite: CMST 380. New: In-depth study and research on individually selected topics. Prerequisites: CMST 380, ENG 111, an additional 3xx-level theory course, and instructor’s permission.
6. Permanently drop the following courses: CMST 151 Forensics Activities (1-2 SH), CMST 280 Nonverbal Communication (3 SH), CMST 285 Native American Rhetoric and Culture (3 SH), CMST 286 African-American Rhetoric and Culture.
7. Bank the following major: B.A. Major-Organizational Communication Option.
8. Bank the following courses: CMST 356 Communication Technology (3 SH), CMST 385 Health Communications (3 SH), CMST 461 Political Communication (3 SH).
1. EDUC 416 - course title change - current: Early Childhood Curriculum I (4 SH) new: Early Childhood/Kindergarten Curriculum
1. Change of major or minor name:
Current: B.A. Major-English, new: B.A. Major-English: Literature and Language
Current: B.A. Major-English: First Combining Major, New: B.A. Major-English: First Combining Major-Literature and Language
Current: B.A. Minor-English, new: B.A. Minor-English: Literature and Language
106 ESL: Academic
107 ESL: Academic
4. ENG 301 - course title and description change - Current: British Literature to 1800 (3 SH), New: British Literature to 1660 (3 SH), A survey course of early English literature from the old English period through 1660.
5. ENG 302 - course title and description change - Current: American Literature to 1840 (3 SH), New: Enlightenment and Revolution (3 SH), British and American literature from the seventeenth century to the early nineteenth century. Offered yearly.
402 - course title and description change - Current: Teaching Secondary English
(4 SH), New:
7. ENG 432 Comparative Literature (3 SH) - course description change - New: An examination of texts withing their cultural contexts and exploration of strategies for comparing texts from various cultural traditions.
1. MUS 207 Composition (2 SH) - course number change - new: MUS 205
2. MUS 252 Jazz Improvisation (2 SH) - course number and title change - new: MUS 255 Jazz Improvisation I.
F. Theatre and Dance
1. THAD 315 Japanese Classical Theatre (3 SH) - course number change - new: THAD 312
X. Old business
A. Calendar Subcommittee. Kaufmann/Schumacher, m/s, to approve draft of charges for the Academic Calendar Subcommittee (ACS), a standing subcommittee of A2C2.Three representatives have met to gather information on calendar. Subcommittee is seeking more input from faculty.
B. Regulation 3-4 ad hoc committee report. Thompson/MacDonald, m/s, motion to untable the Bratt/Thompson motion of 10/8. Motion passed.
Bratt/Thompson motion to make a change in the notification instructions from “approval” of college dean to “recommendation” of college dean was discussed.
MacDonald/Schumacher, m/s, to call the previous question. Motion passed.
Schumacher/Plummer, m/s, to add checkbox list to the top of the Notifications form. Motion passed.
XI. New Business
A. MnSCU 3.10 Policy-purpose of this policy was questioned, no formal action taken.
XII. Adjournment. Thompson/Quells, m/s, to adjourn. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 5:06 p.m.