Academic Affairs and
October 20, 2004
Meeting Minutes of
Attendees : Larry Bergin, Barbara Boseker, Chris Buttram, Wynn Fricke, Armando González,
Amy Hermodson, Dan Kauffman, James Kobolt, Kathryn Lammers, Fred Lee, Chris Malone, Rich MacDonald, Charla Miertschin,
Randy Miller, Robert Newberry, Melanie Reap, James Reidy, Ann Rethlefsen, Greg Schmidt, Paul Schumacher, Susan Sefkow,
Richard Shields, Cathy Summa, Ed Thompson
I. Call to Order at 3:37 p.m.
II. Agenda approved –
approved by consensus
III. Approval of minutes of 10/6/04: m/s Schumacher/Buttram, to approve as
Amended to include that Charla was elected as A2C2 chair for this year
IV. Chair's report
A. Chair Charla Miertschin reported that the A2C2
Chairperson Term, Duties, and Election Policy was approved by Faculty Senate on
October 11, 2004.
V. General Education Course Substitution Requests – .
- Jill Katzer - PER 124 Water Safety Instructor (1 SH) from WSU for Basic
Skills-Physical Education Activities. m/s Boseker/Kobolt to approve. Charla reported that it would be easy to confuse the course
listing under physical education “activities” and the activities listed under Gen. Ed. Dan mentioned that for the course (PER 124), PER 123 was listed as a prerequisite under the old Gen. Ed. program.
- Joseph Finck - Per 133 Football, Volleyball, Basketball, and Soccer (3 SH)
from WSU for Basic Skills-Physical Education Activities. m/s Boseker/Buttram
to approve. Motion passed.
A. Course and Program Proposal Subcommittee (CPPS) - two representatives from each college.
1. Liberal Arts - No nominee provided.
VII. Course & Program Proposal Subcommittee report, Fred Lee
- New Course Proposals
- SOC 424 Ethical Issues in Criminal Justice (3 SH)
- GEOS 108 Geology of the Mississippi River (3 SH)
- GEOS 415 Advanced Geomorphology (4 SH)
- Revised Program Proposals
- B.S. Minor - Geoscience
A2C2 approved all courses and programs.
- Course delivery - statement from CPPS: It is a concern of CPPS that
substantial changes in teaching delivery are being made. We would request that
A2C2 add a component to the review process that addresses major changes in
delivery systems so that they are congruent with the course outcomes.
A2C2: Much discussion given to course delivery concerns. IFO Online
Education Committee has been formed to address delivery of courses. It
was the general concern of A2C2 that this issue should be closely watched
especially as we enter the Winona Experience where alternative methods of
delivery will be investigated. Concern with student/faculty contact was
expressed. WSU Reg. 3-4 may need to revised to include online delivery
as an evaluation item. CPPS will invite a faculty member from the
Business Education, a program which is currently offering many online courses,
to a future meeting.
VIII. University Studies Subcommittee report, J. Paul Johnson
- University Studies Program Assessment Plan (USPAP) - Assessment area chair
compensation - Senate amended our request of ten additional duty days per
semester for AY 2004-2005 to ten additional duty days for fall 2004 only and 3
SH of reassigned time beginning in spring 2005. Clarification is needed as to who finds people for
the USPAP assessment area committees. JP: will likely come from
departments most involved with the Basic Skills areas.
- Chemistry - course title change: current: CHEM 210 Allied
Health Chemistry (5 SH), new: Chemistry for Health Professionals. - postponed.
- Computer Science - University Studies Notification: CS 385 Applied
Database Management (3 SH), Writing flag for fall 2002 - present.
- Economics & Finance - University Studies Notification.
- FIN 335 Forecasting Methods (3 SH), Math/Stat flag for fall 2001, spring
2002, fall 2002, spring 2003.
- FIN 360 Corporate Finance (3 SH), Unity & Diversity: Critical Analysis
for fall 2001, spring 2002, summer 2002, fall 2002, spring 2003, summer
- ECON 302 Intermediate Microeconomics (3 SH), Unity & Diversity: Critical
Analysis for fall 2001, spring 2002, fall 2002, spring 2003.
- ECON 315 Environmental and Natural Resource Economics (3 SH), Unity &
Diversity: Science & Social Policy for fall 2001, spring 2002, fall 2002,
- ECON 499 Seminar in Economics (3 SH), Oral flag for fall 2001, spring
2002, fall 2002, spring 2003.
- ECON 450 Health Economics (3 SH), Unity & Diversity: Science & Social
Policy for fall 2001, spring 2002, fall 2002, spring 2003.
- English - University Studies Notification.
- ENG 106 ESL: Academic Reading and Writing I (3 SH), Arts & Science Core:
Humanities for fall 2004.
- ENG 107 ESL: Academic Reading and Writing II (3 SH), Unity & Diversity:
Multicultural Perspectives for fall 2004
- Mass Communication - one-time course offering: MCOM 441 Joint London/WSU
Advertising Course (3 SH), spring 2005.
- Political Science - University Studies Notification.
- POLS 260 Classical Political Theory (3 SH), Writing flag for fall 2002,
- POLS 325 Modern Political Theory (3 SH), Writing flag for spring 2003.
- POLS 358 Contemporary Political Theory (3 SH), Writing flag for fall
2002, spring 2004.
X. Old Business
A. A2C2 Chairperson Term, Duties, and
Election Policy - Senate approved the policy on October 11, 2004. - discussed
XI. New Business
A. Call for Nominations of Chair-Elect
m/s Summa/Reap to nominate Ann Rethlefsen as Chair-elect.
m/s Schumacher/Boseker to leave nominations open until
meeting on 11/3. Motion passed.
B. A2C2 chairperson and voting - from
senate m/s Newberry/Schumacher The department from which the A2C2
chairperson comes has the option to appoint annually an additional
representative to A2C2. If the department does appoint an additional
representative, the A2C2 chairperson does not represent the department or vote.
C. Course delivery (also under VII. CPPS report)
XII. Adjourned at 4:36 p.m.