College writing can be a demanding mix of academic language, research knowledge, argument, and personal expression. The friendly, talented staff of the WSU Writing Center is waiting to help students discover solutions to their writing needs. Located in Minne 348, the Writing Center offers free, individualized instruction in all forms and disciplines during any stage of writing, reading, or research.
The Center is staffed by undergraduate and graduate students with long careers as successful writers, and tutors are trained to help students identify a plan for their writing assignments in any major. The staff works closely with students, faculty, and administrators to help students become capable, successful writers, and readers.
The Writing Center prioritizes appointments, but walk-ins are welcome. Please make an appointment on our sign up sheet in Minne 348. You may also call 507.457.5505 for an appointment, and we can be reached by email at email@example.com.
When you visit the Writing Center, remember …
- To make your Writing Center appointment sooner, not later. People often come to the Writing Center 24 hours or 24 minutes before an assignment is due, but it is too late for major changes. You should be visiting the Writing Center several days to one week before an assignment is due.
- To bring your assignment sheet. People often go awry because they don’t follow their professor’s instructions. Your tutor can best help you through a review of the assignment’s requirements.
- To bring all notes and writing you have completed, including current drafts, outlines, research notes, etc.
- That we are not a fix-it shop. You won’t be dropping off or picking up your paper. You’ll be doing the work in the center, aided by our talented tutors.
- That good writing isn’t simply grammar or knowing where the commas go. Most tutoring sessions focus on ideas, not grammar. If you have perfect grammar but don’t address ideas and organization, your paper won’t be successful. Writing is thinking, and the purpose of college is to produce good thinking. If you enjoy wrestling with new or complicated ideas, your writing will improve, and you’ll enjoy the writing process more as well. And remember to come see us in the writing center. No one’s genius blossoms without the help of others!
Mon.-Thurs: 9am – 7pm
Friday: 9am – 2pm