Welcome to the French Program at WSU. The Department of Global Studies and Foreign Languages is planning to restructure French program offerings with the intent of reintroducing the option to minor in French. Therefore, the content, numbering, and/or credit hours for French will likely be revised. To obtain the latest course offerings and the status of the French minor, please contact our office.Currently we are offering a variety of 100-200 level courses in French language. During Fall 2016 we will begin to offer 300 level courses, starting with the course, FREN 301: Composition and Conversation.
We also offer weekly extra-curricular French activities on campus through the Winona State French Club, providing such activities as French film screenings, conversation groups, and field trips.
Why Study French?
- More than 200 million people speak French on over 5 continents!
- French is useful for many different industries in this increasingly globalized economy.
- French is the international language for cooking, visual arts, theatre, dance, and architecture. It is also the language of many influential authors, philosophers, film directors and musicians.
- French an official language of the United Nations, the European Union and UNESCO.
- French is the third most used language on the internet, ahead of Spanish.
If you have studied French before and wish to enroll at a level suitable for you, you can take the French placement exam online.