H.O.P.E. Academy Curriculum
Here are courses offered at WSU within the H.O.P.E. Academy curriculum:
- BIOL 118 - General Biology - A course that promotes critical thinking about the process of studying living organisms. Students are exposed to a sampling of major living groups while utilizing the scientific method.
- CMST 191 - Introduction to Public Speaking - Includes selection and organization of materials, delivery of common types of speeches, listening skills, and analysis and evaluation of presentations.
- ECON 201 - Principles of Microeconomics – The private enterprise system, demand-and-supply, and market interaction; business costs and prices, forms of competition, resource markets; and the mixed economy.
- ENG 220 - Multicultural American Literature - Recognizing the rich array of cultures that have contributed to American history, life, and art, this course focuses on one such culture or on a cross-cultural topic and offers students a study of vital literary voices and their social contexts. Writing intensive.
- Ethnic Studies 168- Introduction to Ethnic Studies – This course introduces students to the field of Ethnic Studies. The goal of the course is to introduce students to the content of Ethnic Studies and to assist students in developing critical skills as thinkers, readers and writers within the field of Ethnic Studies.
- PESS 144 - Contemporary Activities – Kung Fu, Tai Chi & Meditation – This course introduces the student to varied contemporary, movement-based activities. A variety of activities will be introduced as a means of encouraging movement and expanding the student’s leisure interest profile.
- STAT 110 - Fundamentals of Statistics – Introductory statistics with emphasis on applications.
- WGSS 220 - Intersections of Privilege and Power – Explores the social construction of differences at the intersections of race, class, gender, sexuality, ability, and nation to maintain systems of power and privilege. We will also examine the importance of activism and social movements as mechanisms of resistance.