WSU Adult Entry Students with Faculty Member.

Adult Entry Program

Looking to start a degree or finish a degree you started years ago? WSU's Adult Entry Program was designed just for you! The program provides you with the opportunity to:

No matter your needs, we are here to help you start or complete your degree.

Once you have been admitted to the university, explore our Admitted Students information. You will find helpful links and resources, as well as online orientation modules to help you get your academic career at WSU off to a great start!

To qualify, you must be admitted to the university and be out of high school a minimum of four years. If you’ve taken college credits elsewhere, it must be at least one year since you were enrolled. 

The Adult Entry Program recognizes that adults returning to or entering college have needs quite different from those of the traditional student. Many adults have acquired college level learning in a variety of settings. The opportunity to apply for credit for prior learning means savings in time, energy and money. The adult student who has never attended college before or who is returning after an absence of some years can clearly recognize the value of advising and counseling services provided by the Adult Entry Program staff. The entire program was designed to take into consideration the experience, needs and maturity of the adult student.

Adult Entry Program students may choose to major in any of the academic programs listed in the current undergraduate catalog.

New Adult Entry Program students should meet with an advisor in Adult & Continuing Education for assistance in planning their academic program and completing the course registration process. Adult Entry Program students also have the opportunity to attend a transfer registration event regardless of whether you have transfer credits. Your registration options will be sent to you after you have been admitted.

Students who have a declared major at the time of admission may meet with a departmental advisor from the program in which they are planning to major before registering for classes. After their first semester of coursework, declared majors should meet with their assigned advisor in the department housing their major program while undeclared majors should meet with an undeclared major advisor in the Warrior Success Center or continue to meet with their Adult Entry Program advisor until they have declared a major. Students majoring in Individualized Studies will continue to meet with an Adult Entry Program/Individualized Studies advisor from Adult & Continuing Education.

An associate degree requires a minimum of 60 credits; a BA, BS and BAS degree require a minimum of 120 credits. Catalog requirements for the general education program, majors and minors (if needed) must be completed for all programs, including 30 course credits from Winona State in your Junior/Senior years and a 2.0 average overall (on a 4.0 scale). Individual departments may require a higher GPA and additional credits. 

There are many different educational opportunities available each semester. An advisor will provide information and assistance to help you achieve your educational goal.

  • Credit for prior learning
  • Winona State University classes
  • Internships
  • Military training
  • Transfer coursework from another accredited post-secondary institution
  • A one-time only admission fee of $20 is required of all new students.
  • The MN State Colleges and Universities Board determines tuition for classes.
  • Fees may vary depending on the location of the class.
  • Fees for credit for prior learning vary depending on the type pursued.

Financial aid is available through:
Winona State University Financial Aid Office
Maxwell Hall
Winona, MN 55987

Any adult can apply for admission to the Adult Entry Program. Admission is based on a minimum of 4 years since completion of high school or GED completion for students who have not previously enrolled at a post-secondary institution. Transfer students must have a minimum 2.4 GPA from their transfer institution(s) or have a minimum of one year since their last enrollment.

Apply Now

For further assistance, call: