COMMUNICATION STUDIES INTERNSHIP
Welcome to the CMST Internship homepage. Please peruse our pages for internship information. You may also visit our internship site at WordPress. If you have questions that are not answered here, contact the Internship Director:
Dr. Tammy Swenson-Lepper
Office: Performing Arts Center 204
Phone: (507) 457-5246
Frequently Asked Questions About CMST Internships
Find an internship? Talk to friends and family. Talk to recent graduates. Come to events where we host alumni or ask us about alumni contacts. Check career-related sites for job postings in your area of interest (such as public relations, human relations, or marketing, for instance) and contact these businesses to inquire if they also have internships. Often, if a company can't find the right candidate for a job, you can fill the spot temporarily as an intern or assist the person currently covering the job. Search the Yellow Pages for communication-related companies in the cities in which you are interested in finding an internship. Look at our internship board outside PAC 215.
…the department “find” you an internship? We believe your best experiences and best chances of success come when you initiate an internship contact that is of interest to you. Additionally, the internship search process is a great warm-up for the job search process you will have to embark on after graduation.
…required to complete an internship?
- You must first contact a site supervisor and make arrangements for the internship, and get a letter (or e-mail) from your site supervisor confirming the internship and describing your duties.
- Then, you must complete an internship proposal, to be approved by the CMST academic committee and full department. See Dr. Lepper for details about the proposal.
- After your proposal has been approved, you must complete a WSU Internship form, available from Dr. Tammy Swenson-Lepper or from the CMST Office in PAC 215.
- After this, you will receive an e-mail from the Dean's office, giving you a code with which to register online for your internship.
- Then, you must complete assignments, which are laid out in the Internship Packet, available from Dr. Lepper. Generally, these include, but are not limited to, a final paper and presentation.
When is …?
…the next mass internship meeting? We have meetings once each fall and spring semester. Check with Dr. Tammy Swenson-Lepper or meet with her one-on-one to find out when the next meeting is planned.