Student Senate is an excellent way of getting involved at Winona State University and showcasing your leadership skills and abilities. In addition to three executive positions (President, Vice President, and Treasurer), there are 28 senator positions representing each college, class, and the general student population at-large as well as Associate Senator positions.
How do I get involved?
- Have a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the time of election
- Not be on disciplinary probation with WSU
- Be able to complete the duties outlined in the WSUSS Constitution
- Complete the Student Senate Election Application Form online
- Run a successful campaign
- Earn the most votes for the seat you are running for
- Adhere to the WSUSS Campaign Rules outlined in the WSUSS Constitution
Associate Senators serve as voting members on Student Senate committees: Academic Affairs, Public Relations, Student Services, Diversity and the Student Activity Fee Committee (SAFC). While Associate Senators do not get a vote in Student Senate meetings, their votes do count when drafting committee recommendations for the Senate body as whole when they come up for a vote. All Associate Senators must meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
To become an Associate Senator, simply attend two consecutive committee meetings after which Student Senate will approve your name as a voting member on that standing committee. For committee descriptions and contact information for Committee Chairs, please visit our Committees page.