Transfer Credits to WSU

WSU Transfer Coursework Action Plan

So you've already started on your college degree. Now, get the credit you earned.

The exact way your prior credits will transfer to WSU depends on the type of institution, program or exam you used.

Here’s a quick breakdown for how transfer credits generally work:

  • WSU will determine what credits transfer and whether they meet degree requirements.
  • WSU accepts D grades for transfer. WSU will review credits from courses and programs and look for equivalencies to course goals, content and level of instruction.
  • Not everything that transfers counts towards graduation requirements. Degree programs usually count credits in three categories: general education, prerequisites, major/minor courses and electives.
To get a sense of how your credit will transfer, check for course equivalencies in Transferology. You can also find many tools and resources for transfer students online.

Types of Credits

Credits By Exam (AP, IB & CLEP)

Students can earn college credit through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam scores. Use Transferology to find specific course equivalencies.

Be sure to have your official AP, IB or CLEP test scores sent to Winona State.

Advanced Placement (AP)

WSU will give undergraduate course credit for scores of 3 or higher on most Advanced Placement exams.

There is an exception for the English Language and Composition Exam.

You will need to score a 4 or 5 to receive three college credits toward WSU's freshman English requirement (ENG 111). Then you only have to take a one-credit English 112 class to complete this skills requirement for graduation.

If you score a 3 on the English Lang/Comp or Lit/Comp AP test, you will receive three general elective credits.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students in International Baccalaureate programs will be given credit for higher level examinations. If you score 4 or higher on individual Higher Level IB exams, you will receive at least 3 course credits.

Students who earn an IB diploma will be granted 6 undergraduate course credits for scores of 4 or higher on each Higher Level IB exam. You can also get 2 undergraduate course credits for scores of 4 or higher on each Standard Level IB exam.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP is a testing program of The College Board designed to measure prior learning. WSU will grant credit for CLEP exams if the student receives a 50 or higher score on the exam.

All credits earned at any accredited college or university will be reviewed for application towards the selected degree program. WSU also has articulation agreements in place with selected colleges.

WSU has the right to determine whether previous coursework provides a suitable base for advanced study.

Transfer Credits for General Education Requirements

Transfer credits meet WSU general education requirements if you have:

  • earned an AA degree after May 1985
  • earned a BA or BS
  • completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), including through AS or AAS degree programs

MnTC is a cooperative program between all public colleges and universities in Minnesota. To complete the MnTC, you must earn a minimum of 40 credits in the ten goal areas, as well as the requirements for each of the goal areas.

Passing grades (A-D) for MnTC courses apply including transfer courses. However, a cumulative MnTC GPA of 2.0 is required to complete the entire 40 credit package.

If you are transferring to WSU from a participating institution and you have satisfied all 10 educational goals of the MnTC, you will get credit for completing all general education requirements. See the current WSU courses that meet MnTC goal areas.

WSU complies with Minnesota State College and University guidelines, such as Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer Policy (3.21) and Procedure (3.21.1) and Transfer Rights and Responsibilities (3.39).

Contact Admissions at if you are interested in transferring credits from technical colleges.

WSU will accept a 16-credit general elective package of college level technical courses offered by institutions with appropriate regional accreditation.

Some departments may offer course transfer credit of technical classes that apply to a program of study. Students can obtain a special form to facilitate the process.

Students are considered transfer students if they are entering WSU from a technical college. They must submit an official transcript from the technical college.

A high school transcript and appropriate admission test scores also are required for admission.

Winona State University determines what credits transfer from international universities and whether they meet degree requirements. To receive credits for work completed, an official evaluation must be submitted.

WSU strongly recommends that you ask for a Course by Course evaluation through IERF, ECE or WES. Send this evaluation to WSU International Student & Scholar Services Office before the semester starts.

We are not able to provide you information on how many credits will be accepted until the credit evaluation report is received.

Learn more about applying to WSU as an international student.

Veterans may be granted academic credit for formal military schools they attended while on active duty.

WSU Admissions uses the American Council on Education Guide to the Evaluation Experience in the Armed Forces to evaluate military experience. You will need to provide a copy of your SMART, AARTS or CCAF transcript for this evaluation.

Learn more about how you can get credit for experience in military branches.

DANTES Subject Standardized Tests

The DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) program is a series of examinations that can help you get credit for prior knowledge or work experiences. This can help you skip over introductory courses and move through your program more quickly.

DSST exams can be individually reviewed by WSU academic departments. You can look into how DSST exams may transfer to WSU with Transferology.

DANTES funds DSST testing for eligible service members and personnel at DANTES military test centers.

The DSSTs are also available for non-military students at universities and colleges throughout the country.


Students enrolled in PSEO courses must transfer those credits to WSU regardless of earned grade. You can find course equivalencies for PSEO courses through Transferology.

How to Transfer PSEO Credits

If your PSEO or College in the Schools credits are from a Minnesota State college or university, just let WSU Admissions know and we will bring those transcripts in automatically.

If your credit is earned at any non-Minnesota State school, you will need to ask them to send your official transcript to WSU Admissions.

The University of Minnesota and its branch campuses are not part of Minnesota State.

Licensed registered nurses who have completed three-year hospital training programs may receive 48 semester (72 quarter) credits of electives toward any undergraduate degree program except nursing.

32 semester credits will be applicable to the lower division. 16 semester credits can be applied to upper division coursework.

To transfer these credits, you will need to provide proof that you successfully completed the necessary RN tests.

For more information, contact WSU Admissions at

Winona State University accepts some correspondence work towards a degree.

Please contact WSU Admissions at if you are interested in transferring correspondence coursework.

Appealing a Transfer Credit Decision

All students have the right to appeal credit transfer decisions following WSU Transfer Appeal process (PDF).

If you haven't yet enrolled at WSU, print out this WSU Transfer Decision Appeal Form (PDF) and send it to the Admissions Office.

If you are already enrolled, please use the online Degree Audit & Transfer Credit Request form.

WSU also complies with Minnesota State system transfer credit appeal procedure (3.21.1).