Symphonic Wind Ensemble
Dr. Melanie Brooks
We are excited that you have shown interest in the Band program at Winona State University. Our program provides excellent performance opportunities for students of all disciplines. We pride ourselves in giving our students the rewarding experiences of:
- Performing the very best compositions and transcriptions for symphonic band.
- Collaborating with renowned local and international guest artists.
- Engaging with the community.
- Building lifelong friendships.
Welcome to the Winona State University band community!
The primary ensemble in the WSU Band program is the Symphonic Wind Ensemble, which rehearses three days a week and performs in four concerts and two commencement ceremonies per year. The pep band, a secondary responsibility of the wind ensemble, performs at selected football and basketball games. Private instruction is also offered for all Symphonic Wind Ensemble students, as faculty schedules allow.
The WSU Band program hosts concerts that serve the community, participates in regional tours and works with guest performers and composers from around the world. They have been noted for their exemplary interpretation of both classic and newly-commissioned wind literature. Another meaningful event for the WSU Band program is its annual WSU High School Honor Band Festival, which draws students from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. The students who are selected for the Honor Band are eligible for WSU music scholarships.
Members of the WSU Band program are also eligible to participate in additional performing ensembles, including:
- Flute Choir
- Percussion Ensemble
- Brass Ensemble
- Saxophone Quartet
- Clarinet Quartet
Below is some helpful information as you prepare to get involved in the Band program:
- Participating in a Band program ensemble is considered a one-credit class, which can be used toward the music major or minor. For non-music majors and minors, this credit can be used as a university studies credit toward graduation.
- If students are interested in joining one or more ensembles but do not own a musical instrument, the music department has a limited supply of woodwind, brass and percussion instruments that can be used free of charge.
- The requirement to become involved in this program is to audition. Auditions are simply a formality used for seating purposes.
- The concert attire for all Band ensembles is concert black.
- A limited number of scholarships are available to students who participate in Band.
There are many wonderful opportunities awaiting prospective students at Winona State University. We hope that incoming students will consider the Band program in search for academic excellence.
For further information about the WSU Bands, please contact Dr. Melanie Brooks.
Dr. Harry Mechell
Concert Choir is a choral ensemble providing singers the opportunity to rehearse and perform music ranging from the Renaissance to the 20th Century. Membership is open to all qualified students in the university. The Concert Choir performs four concerts each year and tours semi-annually.
For further information about the WSU Concert Choir, please contact Dr. Harry Mechell.
Dr. Harry Mechell
Women's Chorus is a choral ensemble dedicated to rehearsing and performing choral music written for women's voices. The repertoire consists of choral music from the sixteenth century to the present. The year's schedule consists of four to six major concerts, including Messiah Sing-In and Renaissance Madrigal Banquet. Auditions are required.
For further information about the WSU Women's Chorus, please contact Dr. Harry Mechell.