FAQs about Transferring to WSU-Rochester

When you are planning to transfer schools, there are variety of things you need to consider. Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions that transfer students have.

If you need additional help, don’t hesitate to contact us at 507.285.7100 or wsurochester@winona.edu.

Yes, provisional admission may be granted under certain circumstances to non-degree seeking students for one semester of WSU-Rochester classes.

However, official admission is required if you:
  • Intend to obtain a degree
  • Want to take classes at the WSU campus in Winona
  • Need priority registration
  • Plan to receive financial aid
  • Want to register for graduate-level courses
  • Want to study elementary education, nursing or social work
Yes, but keep in mind that your application materials must be received at least one month prior to the beginning of whichever term you select.

Some degree programs have additional admission procedures that you must complete after you’ve applied to the general university. These may require an earlier application deadline so check with the department of your major for more information.

Yes, a full-time general academic advisor is available. Additionally, you will be assigned a faculty advisor once you’ve been accepted in your degree program. Your faculty advisor will help you register for classes and provide additional support as you prepare for your future career.

If you have taken 60 or more semester hours at an accredited two or four-year institution and earned a cumulative GPA of 2.4, all of your credits—with the exception of remedial courses—will be transferred.

If you are transferring credits to WSU-Rochester that you have earned by examination at another school, a specific course number must be posted on your transcript.

To transfer credits earned by taking an AP or CLEP test, your scores must meet WSU's score requirements. Official AP & CLEP records must be sent to WSU Admissions. 

Yes, military service school courses will be evaluated according to the recommendations of the Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experience in the Armed Services.

An official DD214 form and/or military educational records must be presented to the Admissions Office for this evaluation.

Credit earned through correspondence will be accepted from regionally accredited, college-level correspondence schools. If your current GPA is below 2.4, you will be asked to come in for an interview with an admissions transfer specialist who will review your application on an individual basis.
WSU-Rochester is an upper-level, degree completion program. You need 60 credits or an AA to apply to the programs. Please check the specific program requirements before applying to WSU-Rochester.

You can make an appointment with Paula Carlsen about the Path to Purple program.

Paula Carlsen

Welcome Center Shared Advisor
Prospective Student Advisor for Path to Purple/2+2 Programs
Welcome Center in Atrium 103 or call 507.285.7557

You can apply to WSU main campus but you will be subject to the same admissions requirements as students entering directly from high school.

These include a minimum ACT score and cumulative GPA as well as the completion of preparation courses in high school.
In addition, you may need to take lower division prerequisite courses through RCTC in order to complete your degree program. Advisors are available to help you determine your options.

Definitely. In fact, over 70% of WSU students-- including transfer students-- receive financial aid. However, you must be officially admitted to WSU and have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to receive aid.

Learn more about financial aid services at WSU-Rochester.

Yes, there are a variety of scholarships exclusively available to transfer students. Learn more about these transfer scholarships on the WSU website.

In addition, academic college and departments offer scholarship opportunities. Students are strongly encouraged to contact their major department for more information

As a campus designed for commuters, WSU-Rochester does not offer housing accommodations. However, a variety of housing options are available in the Rochester area, including furnished and unfurnished apartments, efficiencies, single room rentals and houses.