Faculty & Department Chairs
Important background information on WSU's General Education Program can be found in the General Education Program and Policies document at GEP Policies & Procedures.
A complete list of current GEP courses is available: GEP Current Course List
A master list of all GEP Student Competencies for all Goal Areas and Additional Requirements/Intensives can be found on the Master List of Student Competencies (PDF).
Course Approval and Renewal Process
All courses considered for the General Education Program are reviewed by the General Education Program Subcommittee (GEPS), a subcommittee of the Academic Affairs and Curriculum Committee (A2C2) of Faculty Senate. Approved courses by GEPS are forwarded to A2C2 and Faculty Senate for approval.
Course proposals for any of the Goal Areas must demonstrate fulfillment of at least 51% of the specified competencies in the Master List of Student Competencies (PDF). Course proposals for any of the Intensives or Additional Graduation requirements must demonstrate fulfillment of 100% of the specified competencies in the Master List of Student Competencies (PDF). Policy and Procedure 3-4 (Curricular Changes) outlines the approval process for all curricular changes, including courses included in the General Education Program.
Courses are approved for a fixed period of six years. Courses will be automatically removed from the GEP list if a course is not successfully renewed. Courses must provide evidence of student learning when renewing a GEP course; there is no prescriptive format or type of required evidence.
Sample GEP Proposals
The following GEP course renewals have been identified as good examples for review.
- MATH 203, Numbers of Number Systems (Math/Stats/Critical Analysis Intensive)
- MATH 313, Differential Equations (Math/Stats/Critical Analysis Intensive)
- PHY 180, Investigative Science I: Physical Science (Goal Area 3)
- SPAN 101, Elementary Spanish I (Goal Area 6a)
- SPAN 102, Elementary Spanish II (Goal Area 6a)
- SPAN 201, Intermediate Spanish I (Goal Area 6a)
- SPAN 202, Intermediate Spanish II (Goal Area 6a)
- STAT 301, Statistical Thinking for Health Care (Math/Stats/Critical Analysis Intensive)
If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please contact Dr. Aurea Osgood, GEPS Director, at AOsgood@winona.edu.