Coaching & Terminating
Winona State University does not “contract” with student employees for a specified period of time, nor are the terms of student employment governed by a collective bargaining agreement. Supervisors are strongly encouraged to follow a discipline/dismissal procedure in the event an employee is not meeting job expectations.
Good coaching is essential for effective corrective counseling. Corrective counseling can consist of oral and written warnings designed to change the behavior of an employee who has not performed assigned tasks or adhered to an expected code of conduct. Warnings are a necessary first step to remove the employee from an environment where there is no chance for success or where the student employee’s presence can seriously damage or disrupt the operations of the department. Once these procedures are followed, there will, hopefully, be an improvement in the situation. If, however, the problem continues to be unresolved, it may be necessary to take further action such as suspension or termination of the employee.
Always document any corrective action you take (verbal coaching or written warnings) by summarizing what was said, improvements suggested and date of correction. A sample of a Coaching and Corrective Action Form
(PDF) is provided, which may help facilitate and document the procedure of informing a student when work habits must be improved.
The following examples are reasons for corrective counseling, warning, or termination but do not encompass all potential situations:
- Employee not showing up for scheduled shift with no prior notice
- Inability to perform the job to the supervisor’s standards
- Repeated tardiness
- Theft of office equipment or supplies
- Using university long distance code to make personal calls
- Discourteous (attitude) to fellow staff and public
- Falsification of his/her time sheet
- Improper use of WSU equipment (e.g., making personal copies using departmental copy card)
Recommended Three-Step Termination Process:
- Verbal warning to student
- If no change, written warning to student with a copy for the student and a copy for the department
- If no change, written termination, with a copy sent to the Student Payroll Office and a copy for the department