How to Apply
All students interested in obtaining a Master of Science in Athletic Training (MSAT) must apply for admission into the professional graduate program.
This is a competitive admission process. Admission is not guaranteed to those meeting the minimum admission criteria.
Only students admitted to the professional phase will be able to continue with the academic and clinical portion of the MSAT program.
Applications for admission into the MSAT Program can be submitted using the Athletic Training Centralized Application Service (ATCAS).
Students currently enrolled in the 3+2 program at WSU should contact Brian Zeller, Director MSAT for instructions and to confirm eligibility prior to application.
Meet Academic Criteria
- Possess a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (includes all institutions attended).
- Possess a minimum 3.0 GPA in the following pre-requisite courses:
- Human Anatomy with lab - 1 semester
- Human Physiology with lab - 1 semester
- Physics - 1 semester
- Chemistry - 1 semester
- Biology - 1 semester
- Statistics - 1 semester
- General Psychology - 1 semester
- Nutrition - 1 semester
- Kinesiology or Biomechanics - 1 semester
- Exercise Physiology - 1 semester
Pre-requisite courses from outside Winona State University will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Additional information may be requested regarding course content to ensure that the identified course satisfies the requirement of the program.
Submit Current Certification
Provide proof of current certification in CPR/AED/First Aid. Learn about Acceptable Certifications and include the following:
- BLS Health Care Provider – American Heart Association
- BLS for Healthcare Providers or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer – American Red Cross
Complete Observational Hours
Complete a minimum of 25 observational hours under the direct supervision of a BOC certified athletic trainer.
Note: Due to COVID-19, the WSU MSAT Program will not require the 25 observational hours for the summer 2023.
Instead we ask you to submit any observational logs you have knowing that whether you have zero or 25 it will not affect your application or our decision on acceptance into the program.
Complete All Other Requirements
Complete all MSAT program application requirements, including:
- Personal Statement/Cover Letter
- Two Letters of Recommendation
Expectations for the Personal Statement
Your personal statement/cover letter should be no more than three pages in length and should answer the following questions:
- Introduce yourself to the selection committee.
- Why do you wish to become an Athletic Trainer and why do you feel you would be a successful applicant?
- Why are you choosing Winona State University?
- What are your career goals?
Apply to WSU's Graduate School
Complete all other forms required for admission to the WSU's School of Graduate Studies.
Learn more about the application process.
Questions about Your Application
Brian Zeller, PhD, ATC
Director – Athletic Training Program
Winona State University
An application checklist (PDF) has been provided to serve as a quick reference tool.
All application materials will be reviewed by the MSAT faculty on a “rolling” basis starting Sept. 1 until a maximum enrollment of 20 students is achieved.
Therefore, applicants are encouraged to submit their applications early to ensure that their materials are evaluated and admission is possible.
The application materials are rated and ranked (PDF) by a committee who will determine acceptance or denial of admission.
Students will be notified of their acceptance status into the MSAT program within two weeks of application.
Rolling admission will continue until the cohort is filled. All admission decisions must be completed by May 15.
Contact the Program Director of the MSAT for more information.