How to Apply
All students interested in obtaining a Master of Science in Athletic Training (MSAT) must apply for admission into the professional graduate program. This is a competitive admission process. Admission is not guaranteed to those meeting the minimum admission criteria.
Only students admitted to the professional phase will be able to continue with the academic and clinical portion of the MSAT program.
Applications for admission into the MSAT Program can be submitted utilizing the Athletic Training Centralized Application Service (ATCAS). Create an account at https://atcas.liaisoncas.com/.
Students currently enrolled in the 3+2 program at Winona State University should contact Brian Zeller, Director MSAT for instructions and to confirm eligibility prior to application.
Meet Academic Criteria
- Possess a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (includes all institutions attended)
- Possess a minimum 3.0 GPA in the following pre-requisite courses:
- Human Anatomy with lab 1 semester
- Human Physiology with lab 1 semester
- Physics with lab 1 semester
- Chemistry with lab 1 semester
- Biology with lab 1 semester
- Statistics 1 semester
- General Psychology 1 semester
- Nutrition 1 semester
- Anatomical Kinesiology 1 semester
- Biomechanics 1 semester
- Exercise Physiology 1 semester
Submit Current Certification
Provide proof of current certification in CPR/AED/First Aid. Acceptable Certifications can be found at www.bocatc.org and include the following:
- BLS Health Care Provider – American Heart Association
- BLS for Healthcare Providers or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer – American Red Cross
Complete Observational Hours
Complete a minimum of 50 observational hours under the direct supervision of a BOC certified athletic trainer.
Complete All Other Requirements
Complete all MSAT program application requirements, including:
- Personal Statement/Cover Letter
-Applications should submit a statement answering the following questions:
1. Introduce yourself to the selection committee.
2. Why do you wish to become an Athletic Trainer and why do you feel you would be a successful applicant?
3. Why Winona State University?
4. What are your career goals?
-Personal Statement/Cover Letter should be no more than three pages in length.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
Apply to WSU Graduate School
Complete all other forms required for admission to the WSU Graduate School. Learn more about the application process.
Questions Regarding Your Application Materials
Brian Zeller, PhD, ATC
Director –Athletic Training Program
Winona State University
Note: Program pending Higher Learning Commission approval. Below information is the anticipated due dates once fully approved.
An application checklist (PDF) has been provided to serve as a quick reference tool.
All application materials must be submitted by Nov. 1 to be considered for primary admission into the program. The application materials are rated and ranked (PDF) by a committee who will determine if a student is granted an interview. The committee will set up a time with the student to complete the interview process (via online or in person). Students will be notified by Dec. 15 of their acceptance or denial into the program.
If student admission for the MSAT program has not reached capacity (maximum of 20 students) following the primary application process, students may continue to apply.
A “rolling admission” process will be utilized in the spring semester accepting students who meet the application requirements until enrollment has reached capacity. Interviews are still required for admission.
All admission procedures must be completed by May 15.