Making a Purchase
Purchases can be made in three different ways:
Field Orders are used only for items received at the place of purchase. They cannot be mailed or faxed to a vendor.
- A Field Order form is picked up from the Business Office front desk (Somsen 106)
- These must be presented to the vendor at time of purchase and/or delivery
- Purchase must be under $2000
- Food purchases require additional documentation
The completed Field Order form must be returned to Business Office within 5 working days with Vendor receipt or invoice attached to form.
Things to Remember:
- Both purchaser and vendor sign the field order form and a copy is given to the vendor.
- One of the 2 signatures must be the responsible person for the Cost Center listed.
Note: Target, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Fleet Farm do not accept Field Order forms.
A purchase order is not needed if you are using a Field Order or your University-issued Credit Card.
Campus users with a need to create and/or approve purchase order for their department will have to request access to the Marketplace purchasing system. Please send an email with that request to email@example.com
To create a purchase order for an amount of:
- Less Than $2,000: A minimum of one verbal, written or faxed quote is preferred, but not required.
- $2000-$4,999.99: A minimum of one hard copy quote is required.
- $5000-$24,999.99: A minimum of two hard copy quotes are required.
- $25,000-$49,999.99: A minimum of two hard copy quotes are required. May or may not be required to go out for advertised bids on the State Register.
- $50,000 or More: Must be advertised through State Register and for sealed bids requested contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the process.
Once a user secures access to Marketplace, a requisition must be created when you know you will be spending money.
- Blanket Order: Purchase orders for service (speakers), catering (Chartwells), or varying invoices over a period of time (a year-long rental billed monthly). When you receive an invoice or Services Performed Form, send it to email@example.com with a message that it is “Okay to pay P0xxxxxx partial/final payment.” Creating a receipt is not required.
- Catalog Order: Online shopping experience from select vendors on the Marketplace homepage (Office Depot, Staples). You must create a receipt (PDF) in Marketplace when the items arrive. Invoices are automatically generated. Once a receipt has been created, Accounts Payable will be notified to pay the invoice.
- Non-catalog Order: Purchase orders for tangible items that ship to you in a box (chairs, t-shirts, banners). You must create a receipt (PDF) in Marketplace when the items arrive. When you receive an invoice, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with a message that it is “Okay to pay P0xxxxxx partial/final payment."
- Payment Request: When you have an invoice but no encumbrance in place. Attach your invoice to the requisition and Accounts Payable will get a notification to pay the invoice. An Obligation of Encumbrance 16A is required when work started or goods were received before you created a requisition. In rare cases, a payment request can be used for memberships and subscriptions but use of a University-issued Credit Card is strongly encouraged.
Remember to attach any important information to your requisition in Marketplace such as quotes, a Request for Approval to Incur Special Expenses when ordering food, an Obligation of Encumbrance 16A if needed, and/or additional information.
University Credit Card Program
For more information on purchasing cards, including information on appropriate use, visit the University Credit Card User Manual page.