Awards & Recognition
2017 President's Engagement Awards
Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to nominate people for one of the 2017 President's Engagement Awards. Forms and submission details are provided in each of the links below.
- Student Leadership Award Application
- Community Partner Award Application
- Engagement Steward (Faculty/Staff) Award Application
National Service Learning Honor Roll
The Corporation for National and Community Service honored Winona State University with a place on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll with Distinction for exemplary service efforts and service to America’s communities. Launched in 2006, the Community Service Honor Roll is the highest federal recognition a school can achieve for its commitment to service-learning and civic engagement. Winona State University has been recognized every year since 2008.
Community Service Hours
Total Students Involved
in Service to Our
Carnegie Community Engagement Classification
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, a national policy and research center for higher education, has selected Winona State University to receive the 2015 Community Engagement Classification. WSU is one of 10 Minnesota institutions selected for the classification, and one of only five public Minnesota institutions on the list.
The Carnegie Community Engagement Classification was first developed in 2006, and WSU was one of the first institutions nationwide to receive the classification. Nationwide, 361 institutions have earned this designation.
WSU President's Engagement Awards
Each year the university recognizes members of our community, students, faculty and staff who have made outstanding contributions to fostering collaborative community-academic engagement here in Winona and Rochester.
- The President's Community Partner Award is given to engaged community partners are those who have worked closely with faculty to develop the capacity of the university to benefit the community and to enhance student learning and scholarship
- The President's Student Leadership Award is given to engaged students are those who model a deep commitment to civic responsibility and leadership, evidenced by initiative, passion, collaboration and integration of civic engagement into the college experience.
- The President's Civic Engagement Steward Award is given to engaged faculty, staff or administrators who have significantly advanced the distinctive civic mission by forming strong partnerships, supporting others’ civic engagement and working to institutionalize a culture and practice of engagement.
- 2017 WSU President's Award Overview (PDF)
In addition to our WSU awards, one awardee from each category is chosen to represent WSU for the state-wide Minnesota Campus Compact Presidents’ Awards. These awards provide an opportunity for member presidents and chancellors to give statewide recognition to effective leaders in the development of campus-community partnerships.
Awardees for the last six years are listed below.
* Indicates the Minnesota Campus Compact Presidents’ Awardee for WSU.
- Ruth Charles
- Gundersen Lutheran
- Dr. Leroy Trombetta
- Community Care Network
- Joshua Hanson
- Jennifer Hoffman
- Christopher Veeder
- Khatija Choudhry
- WSU-Rochester Department of Nursing
- Nancy Dumke, Access Services
- Dr. Carol Long, Special Education
- Home and Community Options, Inc.
- Project Community Connects
- Winona Area Public Schools
- RE Initiative
- Samuel Bach
- Student-Athlete Advisory Council
- Carol Marchant, Special Education*
- Charissa Eaton, Social Work
- Teresa Lee, Health, Exercise, and Rehabilitative Sciences
- Gary Kastello, Health, Exercise, and Rehabilitative Sciences
- Connie Mettille, Health, Exercise, and Rehabilitative Sciences
- Shannon Killeen*
- Student Association of Social Workers
- Orientation 100, Section 50 Class
- Carl Stange, Admission*
- Mary Fawcett, Counselor Education
- Jo Hittner, Counselor Education
- Greg Neidhart, Arts Administration
- DeShawn Woods*
- Steven Moreicki
- Mitch Miller
- Rachel Zacher
- Sarah Stuhr
- Shannon Killeen
- Frozen River Film Festival
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the 7 Rivers Region
- Ben Miller Academic Mentoring Program
- Kara Lindaman, Political Science and Public Administration*
- Robert “Jay” Palmer, Social Work
- Kathryn Ready, Business Administration
- Caitlin Stene*
- Melanie Walter
- Shanna Decker
- Joan Francioni, Computer Science*
Dr. Francioni was also awarded the Thomas Ehrlich Civically Engaged Faculty Award.
- Eillen Moeller
- Sarah Anderson*
- Graphics Design Seniors
- Student Band Officers
- Marcus Greatens
- Boys and Girls Club- Rochester
- Hawthorne Housing Redevelopment
- Winona Housing & Redevelopment Authority
- Merchant's Bank
- Winona Park & Recreation
- Women's Resource Center
- Tamara Berg, Women’s and Gender Studies*
Dr. Berg was also awarded the Sister Pat Kowalski Leadership Award.