students work together on a project

Post-Baccalaureate Programs

We are happy that you are thinking about furthering your education and pursuing a teaching license. Winona State University is a wonderful place to do this as we have more than 20 different licensure areas.

Winona Programs

On the Winona Campus, the path to a teaching license is through a traditional undergraduate program. Generally, it takes about 2.5 years added on to your Bachelor's degree to complete the necessary coursework.

If you are interested in pursuing this route, your first step is to apply to WSU as a transfer student. After your WSU application has been processed, then you will be able to see what additional coursework you will need to complete in order to obtain a teaching license.

The next step is to apply for program admission to the Teacher Education Unit. 

Rochester Programs

Through WSU-Rochester, there are two other options. The first option is through a graduate program called the Master of Science in Education.

The Master of Science in Education (MSED) is an opportunity for individuals who hold a bachelor's degree with an appropriate major to become secondary teachers in one of the following licensure areas:

  • Business
  • Chemistry
  • Communication Arts & Literature
  • Earth Science
  • Life Science
  • Mathematics
  • Physics
  • Social Studies

The second option is the Graduate Induction Program (GIP), which is designed to assist inexperienced teachers with challenges unique to entry into in the areas of Special Education and Elementary Education.

For additional program specific information, you can also refer to the course catalog.