Help for Survivors

If you experience an incident of sexual misconduct, which includes sexual assault, stalking and dating/relationship violence, you may want to consider the following:

  • Contact Campus Security at 507.457.5555 or local law enforcement at 911
  • Seek medical attention
  • Preserve evidence in case you choose to pursue charges
  • File a complaint with the Office Affirmative Action/Equity & Legal Affairs Title IX at 507.457.2766
  • Seek out counseling and support

You have the right to choose your course of action and set the pace.


Preserving Evidence

Try to remember and write down as many facts about the attacker/stalker as you can. Consider preserving evidence such as clothing, bedding, letters, texts, emails, or photos. Without this evidence, it is more difficult to press charges.

If you have been sexually assaulted, it's important to seek medical attention immediately regardless of whether you report the matter to the police. Timely reporting aids in prosecution, though sexual assaults may be reported at any time.

Do not wash, douche, brush your teeth, or change your clothing before the medical examination. Physical evidence should be collected within 48 hours after the assault.

If you believe you have been given a drug in an attempt to facilitate a sexual assault, visit the closest emergency room immediately. The following locations offer treatment for sexual assault survivors:

By state law, treatment for sexual assault is confidential and paid for by the county.



Attempted, threatened or actual sexual violence is a crime. You have the right to report it.

There are a number of options for you if you want to discuss sexual assault, dating/relationship violence, stalking or sexual harassment in confidence.

If you would like to speak to a confidential resource regarding instances or suspected instances of sexual violence you’ve experienced or on behalf of a friend or loved one, trained advocates are available to support you.

Confidential resources are trained individuals who are not legally mandated to report instances of sexual and gender violence to law enforcement or university officials. They assist in outlining all of your options and rights, address your concerns, and support you through a reporting process (should you choose to file a report).

Within the criminal justice system, there are two legal avenues to pursue: criminal and civil. Reporting and cooperating with law enforcement makes you eligible for financial assistance through the Crime Victim's Reparation fund. You may also choose to file a Harassment Restraining Order or Order for Protection.