Submit a Title IX Complaint

If you or anyone you know have been the victim of violence, it needs to be reported. Call Campus Security at 507.457.5555 or the Office of Affirmative Action/Equity & Legal Affairs at 507.457.2766. Or, talk to someone you trust.

Reporting is your choice. You may report an incident (personally or through a third-party report) even without choosing to pursue charges or have a police investigation. Reporting can prevent others from being sexually assaulted.

The Office of Affirmative Action/Equity & Legal Affairs is charged with investigating complaints under 1B.3 Sexual Violence Policy and 1B.3.1, Response to Sexual Violence as well as all Title IX sex discrimination complaints. This includes complaints regarding sexual violence, sexual assault, dating/relationship violence and stalking if the incident:

  • occurred on Winona State University property
  • occurred while you were engaged in university-related activities or
  • has a student, staff, faculty member or volunteer at Winona State University as the the alleged perpetrator (Respondent)

How to Report a Complaint

Winona State encourages those who have experienced any form of sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating/relationship violence, or stalking to report the incident to the University’s Title IX Coordinator or to Campus Security.

Lori J. Mikl is WSU's Title IX Coordinator and her office is located in 202 Somsen Hall. Lori can be reached at 507.457.2766 or

If you would like to file a separate report to law enforcement, you may do so at any time by calling 911.

Sexual assault and some other forms of sexual misconduct can be both a criminal offense under state law as well as a violation of Minnesota State policies. A student or employee alleged to have engaged in a sexual assault can be prosecuted under Minnesota criminal statutes and/or disciplined under the 1B.1.1/1B.3.1 or applicable employment procedures. Criminal proceedings and University proceedings are separate processes with independent outcomes.

Federal Resources

Individuals always have the right to file a formal complaint with the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights:

Citigroup Center
500 W. Madison Street
Suite 1475
Chicago, IL 60661-4544
Phone: 312.730.1560
Fax: 312.730.1576