New Hires

If you’ve accepted job offer, there are several steps you need to take before you begin your position at WSU.

You’re considered a new hire if you’ve never worked for Winona State before. If you have not worked on campus for two years, you will also need to complete new hire paperwork.

Working for Chartwell’s Dining Services and Barnes & Noble are not considered WSU employment.

Work Authorization

Once a supervisor has decided to offer you a work study or student help position, they’ll submit an electronic Authorization Form to the Student Payroll Office.

This form “authorizes” you to work for a particular department for a specific time frame. This employment eligibility verification must be completed before working your first shift.

If a department decides to hire you as a graduate assistant, they’ll submit an Appointment Form to the Student Payroll Office.

Hiring Documents

Before you can begin working, you must complete both W-4 and I-9 forms. These forms can only be completed in person at either:

  • Winona: Warrior Hub Office in Maxwell Hall
  • Rochester: Student & Campus Services Office at RCTC

W-4 Form

A W-4 form determines how much federal and state income taxes are withheld from your paychecks.

Completing this form correctly will keep you from paying in too much tax from your paychecks or needing to pay more money during tax season.

All student payroll income is taxable, including work study.

International Students

International students who have been in the U.S. for less than 5 years with an F1 or J1 Visa must complete two W-4 forms.

International tax withholding policy determines how you should complete these forms. You’ll complete these forms in the Student Payroll Office before you begin working.

Once you’ve been in the U.S. for more than 5 years as an F1 or J1 student, you’ll be required to complete a new W-4 form. You’ll have the same options for completing the form as U.S. students have.

I-9 Form

An I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form confirms your identity and authorizes an employer in the U.S. to pay you for your work.

Contact Student Payroll
Student Payroll
Email Student Payroll