Language Placement

Chinese, French, German or Spanish Language Placement Exam

Students with any prior knowledge of Chinese, French, German or Spanish should take the Placement Exam. The purpose of this evaluation is only diagnostic: it assesses students’ current language abilities in order to match them to the course most suitable for their level. You might be surprised to find out that you place into a higher class than you expected. The language exams are:

  • Free
  • Quick - Usually 10-20 minutes

After completing the online evaluation, you will immediately receive a score and a corresponding course level recommendation (101/102/201/202/301).

Language Placement Exam Link 

By clinking on this tab you will be asked to register before you take this placement test. It is a very short process.

Retroactive Credit

By earning a grade of “A” or “B” in one of WSU’s language courses 102, 201, 202 or 301, students may obtain retroactive credit for the preceding courses. For example, a student who places into SPAN 201 and earns an “A” or “B” may buy the credits for SPAN 101 and SPAN 102. Qualifying students may initiate the process for retroactive credit by meeting with the faculty member offering the course in order to receive a grade of “P” (pass) in the appropriate course(s). The world language faculty reserves the right to depart from these guidelines when warranted by exceptional circumstances.

To be eligible, the student must have completed the original WSU course and have received an official grade. The student must be fully matriculated with a minimum 2.00 GPA at WSU and be enrolled at the university during the semester in which the credits are requested. The cost to buy back the credits is $50 per credit.