Education Benefits

There are several programs that provide education benefits to veterans, active military and their families.

These opportunities can help make your education at WSU even more affordable.

Explore Benefit Programs

The GI Bill has several programs with varying benefits to help cover costs for tuition, fees, textbooks and more.

These benefits don’t stack on top of each other, so you’ll want to find the program that works best for your goals.

If you have any questions, please email the Veterans Affairs Office at for help.


Other Federal Benefit Programs

To receive the MN GI Bill, you must meet eligibility requirements such as being a Minnesota resident and attending an institution within the state.

The WSU Financial Aid Office will assess your application and determine the funding amount you can receive each term.

Any amount of aid you receive through other programs such as the Pell Grant, state grants and federal military or veterans education benefits will be factored in when calculating your MN GI Bill award.

Your award amount is based on whether you are enrolled as a full-time or part-time student.

Program Type Enrollment Status Maximum Award Per Term
Undergraduate Part-Time | Less than 12 Credits No Limit
Undergraduate Full-Time | 12+ Credits $5,000
Graduate Part-Time | Less Than 6 Credits No Limit
Graduate Full-Time | 6+ Credits $5,000

Each academic year, you can receive up to $5,000 with a lifetime maximum of $15,000.

How to Apply

To apply, you must complete the MN GI Bill application and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The MN Department of Veterans Affairs will verify your eligibility and you may be contacted to provide additional documentation such as your DD214 or other discharge documents.

WSU Financial Aid Office uses the FAFSA to determine your aid award amounts and will notify you if you qualify.

You must apply for this benefit every year, and retroactive awards are not allowed. If you want to use the MN GI Bill to pay for courses in a given semester, you have to apply before that semester ends.

You can currently be taking courses and then apply for the MN GI Bill to pay the costs as long as you do so before the semester ends.

However, it’s best to submit your MN GI Bill application before classes begin.

If you have questions, you can email the WSU VA Office at You can also contact Veterans Assistance Coordinator Mark Larsen at or 507.779.9375.

The Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) Program funding is maxed out at $250 per semester credit hour or $4,000 per year to cover up to 16 credits.

Nearly all active duty, Reserve and Guard members are eligible for FTA. However, each service branch determines eligibility which can limit access to this program.

Learn about the application procedures for military services:

Students serving in the National Guard can receive state tuition reimbursement in addition to federal benefits.

The application process and maximum funds awarded vary from state to state:

Apply for Benefits

Apply for education benefits today! 

To complete your benefit application, you will need the following information: 

  • Permanent Address SSN for yourself and the military member(s) 
  • Dates of Service 
  • High School Information 
  • Previous College Information 
  • WSU Information (175 W. Mark Street, Winona MN 55987) 
  • Banking account and routing number for your benefits funds to be direct deposited 

After you’ve submitted your benefit application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in the mail about 30 days later. Your COE will have details about your benefits including: 

  • How many months the benefits cover 
  • What percentage of the benefits you are eligible for 
  • How long you have to use the benefits 

You will need to upload a copy of this letter to your Certificate of Eligibility Form in WarriorSpace before the start of the semester. Contact the Veterans Affairs Office at or call 507.457.5109 for questions about how to submit this documentation. 

Verify Your Enrollment

To receive benefits this semester, you must verify your enrollment each term. Submit your enrollment verification form. 

If you have never received VA benefits from WSU, stop by the Veterans Affairs Office after you submit the enrollment form to make sure that all your paperwork is in order. 

Whenever you add or drop classes, you have to submit the Schedule Changes Form to notify Veterans Affairs that your credit status has changed. 

This also applies if you decide to take courses during summer sessions.

Contact Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs Office
Maxwell 110A

170 W Sanborn St.
P.O. Box 5838
Winona, MN 55987

Phone: 507.457.5109
Fax: 507.457.5620

Email WSU Veterans Affairs
Sarah Curtin
VA School Certifying Official

Associate Director of Admissions

Email Sarah Curtin
Mark Larsen
Veterans Assistance Coordinator

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs

Higher Education Veterans Program


Email Mark Larsen