Worldly Warriors Photo ContestApril 2020 Update: The Worldly Warrior Photo Contest deadline has been moved! Submit your photos by April 30 for a chance to win.
Photo Contest Timeline 2019-2020
- January 1, 2020 – April 30, 2020 at 11:59pm – Submissions accepted
- May 1 - May 8, 2020 at 9am – Submissions displayed for voting
- May 8 – Winners announced
The entire WSU community (and beyond) will be invited to vote to determine winners!
Select entries are printed in the Worldly Warriors Photo Calendar for the upcoming year.
Entering the Photo Contest
Entries are accepted January 1, 2020 through April 30, 2020 at 11:59pm.
We encourage you to submit photos that illustrate something unique to your experience, showing sensitivity to the host culture. Winning photos tend to be the ones that engage the viewer and draw them in.
While photos of yourself on the beach or in front of Big Ben can be great (in fact, that’s perfect for the Selfie category!), think beyond that. Show us what’s behind the scenes of your host community. Give us a glimpse of what’s unique or special about where you were and who you met.
Photos that include the following types of content will be excluded from the contest:
- Representations of illegal activity;
- Images that appear to threaten the health or safety of any individual or group;
- Images that are obscene;
- Images that violate the WSU code of student conduct.
- You must be a Winona State University student, or faculty/staff member.
- You must not have submitted these photos in any previous Worldly Warriors photo contest.
- All entries were taken in the last two years by you while studying/traveling off-campus and are your property.
- You may submit up to 3 photos in each category:
- Worldly Warriors and Selfies – Whether you’re wearing Winona gear or not, we want to see YOU in the places you’ve loved.
- Behind the Scenes – There’s more to your destination than the typical photo op. Give us an image that portrays student life, real local culture, or intercultural interactions.
- Environment – What built or natural wonders inspired or awed you? These photos may or may not have people in them, but they still give you a sense of place.
- Video – submit a video of up to 60 seconds, highlighting a unique experience or learning opportunity you had while away.
- The form will ask you to describe briefly
- where you went for study abroad (or travel experience)?
- why this experience was important to you - basically, why did you do it?
- why did you choose to go on this particular program?
- the biggest impact of the experience on you. Try to focus on the one or two significant things that matter most to you about having done this.
- The form will also ask for a title, location, and description for each photo you submit. Your name, and some of this information may be attributed to your photo on Facebook and/or in the Photo Contest calendar, after the contest is complete, so bear that in mind.
- Please note that submissions will not be considered unless you agree to the permission statement in the form by checking the Permissions box. The permission statement reads as follows:
- I voluntarily agree to participate in the Photo Contest sponsored by the Study Abroad office at Winona State University. I understand the document(s) I submit will become property of the Study Abroad office and any or all portions may be reproduced without written consent. By checking the box provided on this agreement, I verify that I am the one who took the photo(s) which I am submitting to the Worldly Warriors Photo Contest. I give permission to the Study Abroad office to release any information I provide on this form, including but not limited to: name, photograph, and commentary about my travel experience.
- Enter via this Qualtrics form
Voting for Photos
We’ll display submitted photos in May 2020 on Facebook. Vote by liking your favorites! Open voting occurs from May 1-8, 2020. Voting will close on the 8th at 9am. Encourage your friends to vote too!
- Vote by “Liking” a photo
- Submissions will be displayed in albums. Look for the photo albums organized by category:
- 2020 Worldly Warriors & Selfies Entries photo album
- 2020 Behind the Scenes Entries photo album
- 2020 Environment Entries photo album
- 2020 Video submissions will be organized in a ‘playlist’
- May 8, 2020 – Winners announced
Student winners in each category will receive prizes listed below. Please note that no winner will be eligible for more than one prize.
- First Place: $50 Amazon gift card
- Second Place: $25 Amazon gift card
Congratulations to our contest winners and thanks to all who voted! Our Worldly Warriors have been to some wonderful places and took some amazing photos. Check out the winners in our Facebook photo album.
You can see all entries in their respective category albums below: