Request Accommodations

Once you’re registered with Access Services, you’ll request the accommodations you need.

Each semester, you’ll need to submit a request form through the Access Services Student Dashboard for each class in which you would like to receive accommodations. 

You may submit a request any time after registration when your schedule is finalized. Your professor will be notified of your eligibility via email.

For more detailed information, refer to the Access Services Student Handbook (PDF). You are also encouraged to use other support services offered by WSU. 

Types of Accommodations

These are common accommodations provided for free to students registered with Access Services to support equal access to their classes. 

Depending on your unique situation, you may receive other types of accommodations. 

WSU does not provide: 

  • Personal devices such as wheelchairs or glasses
  • Personal services such as private tutoring or personal attendants
  • Modifications that would lower or change course standards or program standards
  • Services that are unduly burdensome, administratively, or financially

Access Services will help coordinate alternate testing options including extended time, distraction free, and audio format.

Learn more about alternate testing procedures.

Students can use technology like Evernote and OneNote to help with note-taking during class.

Students can submit their requests for books in alternate formats each semester on their accommodation request form. Then, you will meet with the Technology Specialist to get your books at the start of each semester.

Students must provide proof of purchase of their books to meet copyright laws of publishers.

In some cases, students with disabilities may record their class lectures. The student is responsible for the set-up of the equipment and for the recording of the lecture.

Once recorded, it may not be shared with other students. All files are to be erased, deleted, or destroyed at the end of the semester.

Access Services will arrange for an interpreter to be present in the classroom and other class-related activities, such as small groups or a meeting with a faculty member.

If you require housing accommodations on the basis of a disability, email Housing & Residence Life at after you’ve submitted documentation to Access Services.

Connect with the Housing & Residence Life Office as soon as possible to be sure you get the housing accommodations that you need.

Service Animals & Emotional Support Animals

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, service animals are any dog (or other animal as defined under the ADA) that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. These animals are permitted in the residence halls. However, all housing documentation must be submitted per the approval process.

Emotional support animals (ESA) are companion animals that provide therapeutic benefit, such as alleviating or mitigating some symptoms of a disability, to a person with a mental or psychiatric disability. These animals are only permitted in residence halls if approved by Access Services and all housing documentation is completed per the approval process.

If a visitor has an ESA, they are not permitted to bring their ESA into the residence halls.

No other animals are permitted in on-campus housing. The only exception to this rule is fish kept in an aquarium (max 10 gallon tank). 

Animal Approval Process

Whether service animals or ESAs, all animals that live in University-owned or leased property are required to be approved.

The approval process to bring a service animal or an ESA into the residence halls can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks. You may not bring your animal to campus unless the approval process is complete. 

Contact Access Services
Access Services


Email Access Services
Office Hours

Maxwell 314

Academic Year

8am – 4:30pm


7:30am – 4pm