Employment Information

F-1 students are able to work on campus and off campus in certain situations.

Most visas which allow for study in the U.S. also allow for some work authorization.

For F-1 visa holders, the intent is to study and there are work restrictions.

If you have a visa other than F-1, please speak with your immigration lawyer, program director, or the International Student and Scholar Services Office.

Learn more about rules for employment in the U.S

How to Find a Job or Internship

ISSS provides workshops on CPT and OPT employment in fall and spring semesters. Watch for events on the WSU ISSS Facebook with more details.

Use Handshake to look for on-campus jobs and off-campus internships. WSU Career Services can help you write a resume, prepare for an interview and get other job search support

Other Employment Authorizations

Severe Economic Hardship

If severe economic hardship circumstances happen, you may apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for authorization to work off-campus. F-1 students are only allowed to work off campus when pre-approved by USCIS.

Please talk to International Student and Scholar Services before submitting an application.

Student Special Relief

In emergency situations, the Department of Homeland Security will issue an announcement for citizens from a specific country to be authorized for additional work authorization, called Student Special Relief (SSR).

 An application through USCIS is required for off-campus work in these situations. If your home country has an SSR, please connect with International Student and Scholar Services to review your options.


If the form doesn’t require a signature, you can complete the form online and email it to is@winona.edu

If forms do require a signature, you can still type out the form fields. However, you will need to print the form, add your signature and then drop the form off at the International Services office in 132 Gildemeister Hall. 

You can also mail the form to: 

Winona State International Student & Scholar Services
175 W Mark St. 
Winona, MN 55987, USA. 

Please make sure to complete all required boxes on each form submitted. 

Contact International Student & Scholar Services
International Student & Scholar Services Office

Maxwell 130
175 West Mark Street
Winona, MN 55987

Phone: 1.507.457.5303
Fax: 1.507.457.2474

Email ISSS
ISSS on Social Media

WeChat: @WSU International

WhatsApp: 1.507.312.3984

ISSS Facebook

ISSS YouTube

ISSS Instagram