WSU Students traveling together.

Student Resources

The following links contain important information whether you are considering your options, preparing for departure, currently abroad, or returning home.

Not sure how to get started? Review our Exploring Your Options pages!

Need a passport? The WSU Study Abroad office can process applications for NEW passports (renewals are done online). Most Post Offices and even other businesses can also process passport applications. See the US State Department website for further information.

U.S. State Department Travel Information
Find out here whether you need a visa for your destination, learn more about your destination, and get tips for staying healthy and safe while away.

U.S. State Department Students Abroad
This web page provides a wealth of information for students with tips about how to plan, what to know before departure, and more.

TSA Travel Tips
Find out the latest information about airport screening by TSA.

Currency Conversion

The Ultimate Packing List
By Travelers for Travelers

Tips to Learn About Your Host Country (PDF)

Cell Phone Use Abroad
This website contains information on if and how to properly use your cell phone abroad, regardless of which carrier you use.

CDC - Centers for Disease Control
Information on which vaccinations are recommended for your destination, and advice about how to find medical care while abroad.

World Health Organization
Great tips for staying healthy while traveling.

Embassy and Consulate Finder
Find an embassy or consulate closest to where you are in the world.

Sexual Assault Support
WSU Sexual Violence Resources
Pathways to Safety

Resources for Women Travelers

Resources for Students from Underrepresented Racial or Ethnic Backgrounds

Resources for LGBTI students

Resources for Students with Disabilities

Resources and Advice for Transgender Travelers

Transgender people may have specific questions and concerns about traveling on study away programs – both domestically and internationally. The following links provide helpful resources, information, and suggestions for travel-related policies, procedures, and expectations.

Resources for First Generation College Students


WSU Laptop Information (PDF) - Use of laptop while away from WSU.

Financial Aid – Information on applying for and using financial aid for your experience abroad

Housing & Residence Life – Learn more about canceling housing for study abroad reasons without a penalty (see the ‘Can I break my housing agreement?’ information).

Interested in English teaching opportunities abroad?

The US Student Fulbright program offers English Teaching Assistantships in around 75 countries – and you may not need an education background or knowledge of the local language to apply!

Several foreign governments run programs that hire Americans to teach English to children and adults. There may be more than this out there, but this list is a start:

  • Austria: US Teaching Assistantships

  • Chile: English Open Doors Program

  • France: Teaching Assistant Program in France

  • Georgia: Teach and Learn with Georgia

  • Japan: Japan Exchange and Teaching program; and Interac

  • Korea: English Program in Korea

  • Spain: North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain

  • Thailand: Teach Thailand Corps

There are also organizations that will place you in another country to teach English, for a fee. Check out organizations like CIEE, or Princeton in Asia/Africa/Latin America.

Interested in studying for a degree or conducting research abroad?

    Graduate study in other countries is possible, depending on your field.

    • Tuition varies around the world - some countries are considerably cheaper than the US, while others may be the same or more.
    • A master’s degree may take only 1 year in some places, a PhD may be only 3 years.
    • Even in countries where another language is spoken, certain universities may teach classes in English.

    There are several highly competitive scholarship programs that may be of interest.

    • Fulbright: Options for study or research in over 140 countries around the world
    • Boren: For studying languages & cultures of interest to US National Security
    • DAAD: For study/internship/research in Germany
    • Marshall: For advanced degree study at any public university in the UK or Rhodes, which is specific to Oxford University
    • Schwarzman: For a master’s in Global Affairs at Tsinghua University in China
    • Yenching: For a master’s in China Studies at Peking University in China

    Interested in volunteer or work abroad?

    • The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals is a unique scholarship for study/work experience in Germany. It includes 2 months of language, 4 months of academic coursework in your field, and 5 months of internship in your field. Previous knowledge of German is not required.

    • International Jobs
      Finding paid employment abroad can be a challenge, unless you have specialized skills that make you qualified for a work visa application. A good place to start learning about how to do this is Transitions Abroad: This website includes articles, paid and unpaid work/internship opportunities, volunteer organizations, and resume advice.
      • Peace Corps
        The Peace Corps offer volunteer opportunities abroad. The 2 year commitment gives you the opportunity to get to know a community in depth while promoting mutual understanding between Americans and your host country. The application process is competitive, so it is best to apply as early as possible. See the Peace Corps website for more information.