Here's a list of the free services within the TRIO program to help make your success at WSU possible.
Academic Advising & Support
You've made it to WSU, but perhaps you're unsure of your next steps now you're on campus. Or maybe you need some help figuring out what you'll do once you graduate.
TRIO can help you answer these questions and more through:
- Academic advising
- Help navigating college life
- Exploring major and minor options
- Mapping a graduation plan
- Preparing for graduate and professional programs
- Help writing resumes and cover letters
- Skill development and career exploration
If you participate in TRIO SAS, you can also receive personal counseling from TRIO.
Want to improve your academic performance? Ready to take your skill to the next level?
Tutoring and the S2i program can make a difference in helping you get a more complete understanding of course material and approaches to studying.
TRIO Tutoring includes:
- Drop-in tutoring for math and English in Gildemeister Hall
- As much drop-in and individual tutoring as you need through WSU Tutoring Services
- Study skills and time management coaching
Sign up for individualized tutoring through TutorTrac or see your TRIO advisor for help.
It's a good idea to meet with your TRIO advisor before your tutoring session to plan out how you can get the most from tutoring.If a tutor for a class doesn’t exist, talk to your TRIO advisor and they can help find one.
Money Management & Financial Wellness
Managing money well is an important skill to build in college, but it can be a confusing process.
It’s important to learn how to manage your money and make wise financial decisions.
TRIO can help you understand financial decisions you'll make in college including:
- Using the financial aid system and completing the FAFSA
- Budgeting and money management skills
- Learning how to spend wisely and build savings
- Applying for scholarships
Another great resource to build your money skills is WhichWay, an online money management toolkit geared toward college students.
Leadership Club & Events
The TRIO Student Leaders Club is a way for you to develop leadership skills, meet interesting people and prepare for your future.
TRIO also hosts many events and workshops focused on timely topics that help our students get the most from their college experience.
Learn more about how to get involved with TRIO.
Deciding on a Major or Minor
It's not unusual for college students to be undecided or change their major in college.
our TRIO advisor can be a great resource if you are feeling unsure or thinking about a different major.
Exploring options can be a healthy way to really be sure you are earning the degree that is best for you.
Your TRIO advisor provides help with:
- Understanding options for majors at WSU (and beyond)
- Learning how to explore options and research the right information for you
- Choosing "exploratory" classes to help with major selection
Career & Graduate School Planning
Getting through to graduation is the goal, but its also important to plan for comes next.
It's good to talk about options for after graduation with your TRIO advisor so you can start planning early.
Are you thinking of starting a career right away? Are you thinking about a graduate degree?
Plan early and know your options with post-graduation advising on topics such as:
- Understanding your post-graduation options
- Resume help and getting with Handshake and other job search tools
- Understanding graduate school options and help researching schools
- Help with graduate school application process
- Help with preparing for graduate school entrance exams (such as the GRE, LSAT and GMAT)