Lab Safety and Hazardous Materials
Material Safety Data Sheets
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) need to be consulted before working with any chemicals in the labs
- MSDSs can be found in the online materials database
- No materials are to be brought into the labs without the permission of the instructor and, when granted, a copy of the accompanying MSDS must be provided to the instructor
- Locate the fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and other safety equipment available in the labs.
- Spill Kit Instructions (Note: This procedure does not apply to water spills.)
- When operating equipment make sure controls are set to zero before starting and do not exceed the manufacturer's specifications while running.
- Do not leave equipment running unattended.
No materials are to be brought into the labs without the permission of the instructor and, when granted, a copy of the accompanying MSDS must be provided to the instructor.
Disposal of Hazardous Waste
- Disposal of hazardous waste will be done in accordance with the policies and procedures of Winona State University.
- See the instructor and consult the procedure for information regarding the proper handling and disposal of hazardous waste.
- Additional information from Minnesota State, Chemical Hazardous Waste - Rules for Safe Handling in the Classroom is available.
Proper clothing is required at all times while in the labs. The following guidelines will help ensure proper clothing is worn while in the lab.
- No clothes with holes or be tears
- No long hanging clothes
- Proper footwear is required at all times (no open toes)
- Eye protection is required at all times while in the labs
- Ear protection is required when operating noisy equipment
- Personal protective equipment (gloves, NIOSH/MSHA-approved air-purifying respirator with the appropriate cartridges, ...) as recommended in the MSDSs should be worn at all times while working with the respective chemicals
- Eating and drinking in the labs is not allowed
Permission for access to the labs during non-business hours will be granted by the instructor on a case by case basis. Students are only allowed to enter the building if accompanied by one or more other students.