A student employee in WSU Tech Support helps a customer.

Student Employment

Working part time is a good way to help pay for college expenses. WSU departments employ over 1,000 students each year in either work study or student help positions.

Work study is part of your financial aid award, and it’s given to students who have financial need.

Work study programs are funded through both the federal government and State of Minnesota. However, you must be a Minnesota resident to receive state work study awards.

If you aren’t eligible for work study, that doesn’t mean you can’t work on campus. All students can apply for student help positions no matter their financial status or residency.

Whether you have a work study or student help job, you’ll earn at least the university minimum wage and receive a direct deposit paycheck every two weeks.

You can search for on-campus jobs in Handshake and get help with the job search from Career Services.

Learn more about student employment at WSU.

What You Need to Know About Work Study


You only get a certain amount of work study money

Your financial aid award letter shows the maximum amount of work study funds you can receive in that academic year.

If you don’t work enough hours to earn the full award amount, that’s ok.

But if you reach your award maximum, that’s all you can earn. Your supervisor will help you figure out what to do in this situation.


You must get a work study job to earn the money

You can choose which work study job to apply for, and job duties vary depending on which campus department or non-profit organization has work study positions.

You'll earn your work study award through regular paychecks throughout the semester.

Keep in mind that work study eligibility does not guarantee employment. You still go through the same interview and hiring process as any other job.

And you may not be offered a job if the supervisor thinks you aren’t the best candidate.


Your schedule will be arranged around classes

You are always a student first and an employee second, so your work schedule will be based on your class schedule.

Students with work study usually work about 8-10 hours per week during the academic year.

Your work study award is made for school weeks only and does not allow for working during semester breaks.

However, you may be eligible for a separate summer work study award. Call the Warrior Hub at 507.457.5090 to set up an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor to learn more.

You will also need to talk to your supervisor about working over breaks.


Your work study can be cancelled if you don't work

As with any job, you must report to work as scheduled and meet the expectations of your supervisor.

If you don’t do your job well, your supervisor may ask you to find another work study position. If you don’t find another position, your work study award may be cancelled.

If you choose to leave your work study position for any reason, please give two weeks notice to your work study supervisor and to the Financial Aid Office.

You may able take out loans to replace the work study funds.


It's your choice to accept a work study award.

If you don’t want to work during college or prefer to work off-campus, that’s entirely up to you. Work study is just one of the options available in your financial aid award package.

You may want to contact a financial aid counselor about using scholarships, grants or loans to cover college costs in place of work study.