The exterior of Maxwelll Hall front entrance on a clear summer day.

Summer Financial Aid

Summer courses can be a great way to catch up or get ahead on your degree and summer financial aid can help.

You must be enrolled as a WSU student and working toward a degree to receive summer financial aid.

How to Apply for Summer Aid

To apply for summer aid, you will need to:

  1. Register for summer courses and wait at least 24 hours before moving to Step 2
  2. Complete the WSU Summer Financial Aid Application
  3. Have submitted a 2021-2022 FAFSA and any other required supporting documents
  4. Meet Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress after spring semester

Take these steps before May 1 to make sure your summer award is processed in time. Summer financial aid awards will be processed starting in mid-February and begin disbursing on May 20, 2022.

For a visual overview of the process, see the Summer Financial Aid Timeline (PDF).

If Your Summer Plans Change

If you don’t end up taking the credits you indicated on the Summer Financial Aid Application form, you may lose or have to repay your financial aid, including Summer Pell.

This would include dropping classes prior to the start date of a class, withdrawal from any or all classes, canceled classes, or any other enrollment change.

Summer Pell Grant

Undergraduate students may be able to get a summer Federal Pell Grant. This will depend on your financial aid awards for the Fall and Spring terms and how many credits you are enrolled in during the Summer term.

You could be eligible for summer Pell Grant in one of two ways.

  1. You are regularly eligible for a Pell Grant and were enrolled full-time in both the Fall and Spring semesters. To receive the Summer Pell Grant, you must take at least 6 credits (be enrolled half-time) during the Summer term.
  2. You are regularly eligible for a Pell Grant and you were not enrolled full-time in the Fall or Spring semesters. To receive the Summer Pell Grant, you can take any number of credits during the Summer term.

Work Study

If you are interested in having work study eligibility added to your summer award, please call the Warrior Hub at 507.457.5090 to set up an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor.

You must be enrolled in at least six undergraduate credits for the summer term to be eligible for work study.

Application Deadline & Receiving Funds

Financial aid applicants are strongly encouraged to meet the course registration deadlines so that timely disbursements can be arranged.

Federal Direct loan funds can only be held for three days. To prevent your loan from being canceled, notify the Financial Aid Office if you will be registering late.

Financial aid is applied to your bill as funds become available. Once your bill is paid, any extra aid money will be direct deposited to your personal bank account within three business days.

Registration Requirements for Financial Aid

Your summer financial aid award is based on the total credits that you are registered for as stated on your summer aid application.

To receive Federal or Minnesota state loans and work study, you must be enrolled at least half-time which is:

  • Six credits for undergraduate students
  • Three credits for graduate students

Your financial aid budget will be based on the number of weeks you are enrolled in classes. Your housing, transportation and personal spending budgets will be prorated for the length of time you are in class.

If your plans for enrollment change, let the Financial Aid Office know so that we can adjust your award if necessary. You may lose or have to repay your financial aid award if you drop or withdraw from a class.

You need to be officially enrolled in the number of credits that you reported on your summer application in order to receive a disbursement of student aid based upon those credits.

Taking Classes at a Different School?

If you will take classes at another college this summer, you will need to complete and have a consortium agreement approved to receive financial aid for these credits.