Withdrawing from Classes & Financial Aid

Dropping or withdrawing from classes can affect your financial aid. You need to consider all the factors carefully before you make a decision.

If you have any questions, stop by the Warrior Hub or call 507.457.5682 to discuss your personal situation before you fully withdraw from WSU.

If you drop or withdraw all your classes mid-semester, you may be required to repay some or all of your financial aid.

This will depend on the date when you withdraw. See the withdrawal deadlines in WSU’s refund policy for more information.

You can still receive financial aid that you’ve been awarded for next semester if you meet satisfactory academic progress standards.

Likewise, you can apply for financial aid again for the next academic year if you meet these standards.

The due date and amount of your first loan payment will depend on the type of loan. Check with your lender or review the terms of your promissory notes to see when you must start repaying your loan.

For example, Federal Direct Loans go into repayment status six months after you withdraw or cease being a half-time student. WSU will send you a notice with instructions to complete online exit counseling, which will provide you with details of your rights, responsibilities and next steps.

WSU does forward enrollment information to a national clearinghouse used by lenders to track when students should go into repayment.

However, you are also supposed to notify your lender of your change in enrollment so you can learn about your repayment status.

Your new school needs to receive your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This will allow their financial aid team to evaluate your eligibility for aid and award you as a transfer student at that school.

If you filed your FAFSA online, you can request an additional school to receive your FAFSA through your online account.

You can also call 1.800.433.3243 to make a request.